tudor

NZBF When to feed a hive

But @Rob Stockley no disrespect, but if you are a hobby bee keeper, why are you feeding unless you are in a crisis situation ?

:)

But @Rob Stockley if you are a hobby bee keeper, why are you feeding unless you are in a crisis situation ?

At the risk of drawing this thread off topic.... I use white sugar from Pack n save in whatever size is cheapest per kg on the day..... I feed in response to what I find. If a hive is starving I feed. Prefer that to moving honey frames between hives.

But @Rob Stockley no disrespect, but if you are a hobby bee keeper, why are you feeding unless you are in a crisis situation ?

I know your question was towards Rob, but I'm a hobby bee keeper and I don't think I'm in a crisis situation.. should I not bother? Based off various sources of information and me being a newbie, feeding a new nuc seemed to be the 'standardl' thing to do.

feeding a new nuc seemed to be the 'standardl' thing to do.

A small nuc with brood is not a natural situation. Relative to their needs they have a small workforce, and are quite vulnerable to weather and robbers. We feed them to get them through the situation we have created, until they are big enough for them to look after themselves. I assume @tudor is referring to mature colonies, where it is possible (at a cost) to maintain a big enough buffer to see them though temporary forage shortages.

Well spotted, mention had been made of a top feeder, implying a mature hive, which we only feed if it needs it.

And nucs need feeding until going well. That's a given.

But feeding "because it's done" seems to get hives out of kilter with the seasons, which we are trying to keep them aligned to.

Just my opinion ...

Although I'm feeding now, I don't plan to in the future. As an urban keeper who's happy to leave a full box of honey for winter, I'm happy that'll be sufficient.

But right now, I'm feeding 2:1 syrup. I'm a newbie and my single storey hive is less than two weeks old from a nuc. And I want a fully stored give before winter.

I opened the feeder today, it was spotless 1.5kg sugar syrup gone in 3 days. So gave them 3kg today. And I thought my girls were foraging well, heaps of traffic & obvious pollen.

• Like 1

don't forget you do not always get your wintering down timing right and spring being so variable means it pays to have the ability to feed.

of course its easier to feed in reasonably dry autumn that to feed in a wet spring.