DWV Advice Please

Hi team

I noticed this lady had been kicked out of the hive today and appears to have DWV. I did inspect the hive 2 days ago and could not see any at the time but I guess this could be due to being a novice and not looking close enough.

Advice from here?

Straight to full Varroa treatment?

24hr test?

Re inspect hive?

Get someone that knows what the hell they are doing over ;)

5992eb0ebb39e_FullSizeRender(4).jpg.c170509258b7fd91bd50d9e0085393a7.jpg

5992eb0eb2e19_FullSizeRender(2).jpg.b48090cf60d678433cfd16add0bcfbab.jpg

5992eb0eb69a7_FullSizeRender(3).jpg.9b00d3fbf40557404ae3a56cb2dc6808.jpg

5992eb0eb2e19_FullSizeRender(2).jpg.b48090cf60d678433cfd16add0bcfbab.jpg

5992eb0eb69a7_FullSizeRender(3).jpg.9b00d3fbf40557404ae3a56cb2dc6808.jpg

5992eb0ebb39e_FullSizeRender(4).jpg.c170509258b7fd91bd50d9e0085393a7.jpg

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As well as treating, the virus is something that bees have regardless of varroa, assuming u have some old brood frames from the Nuc, put them up in a box by them selves spaced apart so they do not use them again and replace the frames with new ones, do this thru out the season and treat to help with varroa. If u need help just ask. Focus on brood not honey.

The point is well made though, DWV may have shown up in a particularly susceptible larva, without association with varroa. The right course of action is actually to check for varroa with a test of some sort. The assumption that it is a result of a missed treatment may turn out to be true, but the right course of action is to find out.

• Like 1
As well as treating, the virus is something that bees have regardless of varroa, assuming u have some old brood frames from the Nuc, put them up in a box by them selves spaced apart so they do not use them again and replace the frames with new ones, do this thru out the season and treat to help with varroa. If u need help just ask. Focus on brood not honey.

Absolutely Matt

I am loving my bees and having a healthy hive is my number 1 priority!!

Appreciate the advice.

Glenn

Yep.

Already had some Apistan strips so put them in straight away and had a good close look. Couldn't see any more bees with deformed wings and also picked open half a dozen cells and couldn't see any mites so a little more comfortable that not a serious infestation.

Will check the board tomorrow night and see how many have dropped.

Question - Any Storage advice for the remaining strips from the packet? Have placed back in foil wrapping and a ziplock bag for now