Hello everyone well i,m new to West Coast beekeeping and must say it is the challenge that i thought it would be. Yesterday i had 7 hives starved and others very hungry,for whatever reason weather,staffing issuse,s etc this has happened and have been caught short by a day or two.What is concerning is to be stood down , by my employer who by the way is new to beekeeping and to the coast.any feed back would be appreciated .

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Mete33.. where abouts are you on the Coast?.. I'm out at Nelson Creek and have had no problems with the girls bringing in plenty of pollen and nectar from the gorse/broom/fruit blossoms and the big red flowery things..(check my previous posts! :whistle:)... what feedback specifically are you looking for?

The weather and bee breed make a big difference between hungry bees and dead bees.

If your in a very changeable area you need either dark bees or very regular check ups. My Carnies' never starve to death they go into survival mode and can keep going for months on almost no honey reserves. When I occasionally lose a hive to starvation it is always an Italian that has kept on breeding when no nectar was coming in.

I should add that I don't sugar feed I do hold a reserve of full honey frames for emergency feeding.

Hello everyone well i,m new to West Coast beekeeping and must say it is the challenge that i thought it would be. Yesterday i had 7 hives starved and others very hungry,for whatever reason weather,staffing issuse,s etc this has happened and have been caught short by a day or two.What is concerning is to be stood down , by my employer who by the way is new to beekeeping and to the coast.any feed back would be appreciated .

i would be interested to hear the whole story.

they don't normally sack beeks unless things are very bad. especially when its hard to find good beeks. theres a few jobs being advertised at the moment which is surprising considering how far we are into the season.

it also raises the question of whats in your contract. if your an employee they can't sack you on the first offense.

can you say what your rank is, how many staff under you and how many hives your running?

not heard back from original poster yet on some of the comments... but, building a few more cells on @tristans comments...

Regarding if he has been stood down or sacked (they can both mean different things entirely) and whether the employer can.....or...cannot do either...yes they can... Leaving a job - NZ Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment - My First Job Infozone - contingent on the timing of employment and the wording of the employment contract ie 90 day trial period or gross misconduct or (not) enough contractual hours availible due to an operational issue (dead/MIA/reduced bees). Unless the OP can clarify what help they need on either a bee or employment subject... we can only guess... :cautious::what:

it also raises the question of whats in your contract. if your an employee they can't sack you on the first offense.

sorry that should be "if your an employee without a contract......"

generally unless specifically mentioned in the contract, they can't fire you for first offense. there is a procedure to be followed. which includes warnings and giving staff the opportunity to learn from the mistakes.

failure to get that right can result in some big penalties.

My understanding of being "stood down" is that you are still employed . The reason for standing down someone after an accident/event is to try to prevent further harm/ damage while an investigation takes place . After that a decision can be made as to whether further training , firing , being demoted or being cleared of any wrong doing can be decided .