I am new to beekeeping its something I have always wanted to do.3 days ago I got a call from my nana saying there was a swarm in her garden so it was an opportunity I couldn't pass on.I already had all the gear and have read some books.Everything went well and now they look settled in there new hive.I just want to make sure I do everything right so if anyone could give me some advice on what I need to do in the next few weeks? I would really appreciate it.I don't have any beekeeping friends yet but now I will join the local bee club. thanks in advance.

• Like 2
  • Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for the advice so far.I did my first hive inspection today and put in the varroa treatment strips.I found what I think is a queen cell on one of the frames but it is quite low which I have read could be a swarm cell,i would appreciate your advice on this.Also im wondering if I should be feeding some sugar syrip to help them get started?

SDC10444.JPG.ec58ea26773c71c1ecb7da8ef84e5205.JPG

SDC10444.JPG.ec58ea26773c71c1ecb7da8ef84e5205.JPG

yes, its bur comb. you can see that the frame hasn't been waxed properly so they won't draw the frame out fully.

when you can, maybe next season, swap it out for a good frame.

Thanks for the advice.I have 2 brand new 3 box hives with these frames so would you suggest replacing all the frames?

@robeez Pretty sure that underneath those bees in the new comb you should see a bit of nectar. Swarms are really good at finding tucker, particularly at this time of year. It will look shiny and a bit watery.

All the best with your bees:)

Yes I did see quite a bit of shiny watery stuff I thought might be nectar.thanks

yes, its bur comb. you can see that the frame hasn't been waxed properly so they won't draw the frame out fully.

when you can, maybe next season, swap it out for a good frame.

Also make sure you have a full compliment of frames and while undrawn they must be hard together. If you space undrawn frames then the bees may be tempted to get creative.

• Like 1

"I don't have any beekeeping friends yet"

You have now!

Swarms are very good at drawing comb. If the frames are pushed together as Rob advises, they should draw it out well. If the weather changes for the worst, they will probably need feeding as they won't have much in the way of stores initially. Beware that bee numbers will drop before the new brood emerges.