Bee keeping in Vietnam

i think i saw their average per hive is about 40 kg

That's an Apiservices figure? I think that's a country average, calculated by adding all the hives and dividing into the production figure, so it includes 'unproductive' (or 'differently' productive) hives. @Cong's figure many be right for his situation.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi Cong , I have to agree with you that many beekeeper back home are giving up their job , so sad to know that they get paid only 30,000VND ( $2.5 NZD ) per liter of raw honey ! Welcome to the forum

Some new images about beekeeping in Vietnam

Also enjoyed reading this thread, but has been no discussion for awhile so was wondering if you where still about., beekeeping sounds very challenging in your country

Posted Images

That's an Apiservices figure? I think that's a country average, calculated by adding all the hives and dividing into the production figure, so it includes 'unproductive' (or 'differently' productive) hives. @Cong's figure many be right for his situation.

I don't know the others. My family's productivity is around 80kg/box/year (that is what my father said). As I said, each extraction time we get from 700g - 1,100g/ frames. I don't know exact number because I was at school almost all time. By calculation, it could be like this:

He said that we got 240tons.

240 tons= 3000 (box)x 800(g/frame)x8(frame/box)x12.5(times of harvesting)

12.5times spread out from Jan to November. It's quite a long time.

The mean is around 800g, I think so. If the mean is not 800g/frame, sometimes higher, we can have expectation of 270-280 tons.

Once again, this is my family productivity, not my country average. I saw many people give up this job because their revenue cannot cover the cost.

I will ask my father for some more information.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
@Cong I have very much enjoyed this thread and all the photos.

What kind of management does your family operation use to stop the bees swarming? Is swarming common there?

What kind of method is used to create new hives / splits ?

1st, about swarming.

There are some reasons for this phenomenon:

-The queen is too old while the whole colony is too strong

-there are some diseases (such as varroa...)

-The hive is too dirty

-the worker bees create new queen cell

The solution we use for these problems is that: insert a new queen cell if the queen is not goog enough; split the hive if they are too crownded; throw away the queen cell that the worker bees created and replace by a handmade queen cell.

We also have some people to check the box regularly in order to make sure that all the hive is ok.

Second, in spliting or creating a new hive:

My father split the hives all year round or whenever we need and they are strong enough. We always have some backup queen cells in cases we need it. A strong hive is chosen to be splited. This hive has about 8-10 frames (because we use single box, not as it is in NZ). In this box, once again, we take two frames which ảre nearly fully cover by drone pupaes. Put them into a new box and give them a new queen cell.

That's all.

Sorry for anny grammar or pronunciation mistakes that I had made.

• Like 1

Hi @Cong, how many people work the 3000 hives for 10 months? I presume the extraction is happening on-site.

I will say it is quite hard work to manage a hive made of 10 frames only(without extra honey boxes). When you have 3000...... it is very hard. All my respect to your family - hard working people.

Europeans use single box hives too, however their boxes are longer(usually 18-24 frames) and the frames are bigger(Dadant size), so there is plenty of room for the brood and some extra for the honey.

What type of ventilation is used on those hives? When is the treatment time if the season is 10 months long?

• 1 month later...
Hi @Cong, how many people work the 3000 hives for 10 months? I presume the extraction is happening on-site.

I will say it is quite hard work to manage a hive made of 10 frames only(without extra honey boxes). When you have 3000...... it is very hard. All my respect to your family - hard working people.

Europeans use single box hives too, however their boxes are longer(usually 18-24 frames) and the frames are bigger(Dadant size), so there is plenty of room for the brood and some extra for the honey.

What type of ventilation is used on those hives? When is the treatment time if the season is 10 months long?

I'm sorry for being offline from this site for a long time.

Normally, Each commercial beekeeper in Vietnam owns around 250-500 hive (a box contains up to 10 frames maximum). This is the optimal number for individual. when doing this alone, they might have to work nearly full time of a day to feed 250-500 hives the or clean the boxes, etc... However, when extracting honey or moving these boxes to another place, they must aks for the help of some thereabouts beekeepers. For example: if they want to extract honey, It must be about 9 to 12 people in order to complete the job in the morning (from 8-12am for 250 boxes, 8am to 3am for 350-400 boxes...).

With 3000 hives, my father deivdes it in to 7 parts which varies from 250 to 500. Every part needs 1 to 2 people to take care of the bees. they are about 4-10 km far away from other or sometiimes, it is 50-100km apart. We donot have the advanced facility as it is in NZ, all we have is manpower, so, everything takes lot of time to be done.

In adition, we work all time over a year and do not have free time even in the New Year (New year in Vietnam is in the middle of honey season). if someone want to have a break, there must have another to replace or we always have at least 1 person to stay to look after these hive and watch for the thieves (pollen, beewax, sugar is more valuable than a single hive/honey). lol.

. Sorry for the messy of this video. If you have any questions, feel free to leave a comment. I will reply ASAP. cheers!

ventilation?

WP_20151102_17_02_52_Pro.jpg.518858fc776bf0a9a5e1bda8821cdbba.jpg

The windows are circled in red color, one is at front and above the door; another is at the back of the box. They are almost close at all time, exception is when they are moving to another place in the truck.

treatment:

We make a treatment as soon as we see the diseases.

if it not from inside the hive (pesticide, mildew of the trees...)-> move to another place as soon as possible.

-European foulbrood: my father will merger two boxes in to in box and throw away the frames which cannot be mergered. (e.g. 10 frames of two boxes, he keeps only 2 frames, kill two queens and replace by a new queen cell.)

-varroa: he uses acid formic together with Melaleuca oil {or the thin, yellow plastic - i dont know its name; but acid formic is more efficency). And give them a rest between each treatment...

WP_20151102_17_02_52_Pro.jpg.518858fc776bf0a9a5e1bda8821cdbba.jpg

• Like 1

Thank you @Cong.

That is a hard work with a one box hive. I can see in the pic as the bees need a new box on the top(too much burr comb on the top of the frames). If you do not add a new box on the top then there will be very much work to do continuously. However I understand to add a honey box to every hive is not cheap(3000 hives.....= 3000 honey boxes..... yoohooo).

Yes, in NZ we extract the honey a bit different because we have rules/standards to follow.

When you will have compulsory rules/standards in Vietnam too then it will be easier for your country to sell honey for other countries.

It is an interesting ventilation. Did you see/did you try in Vietnam hives with mesh floor?

The government have no compulsory rules or standars for this job which is completely differ from NZ or the US. People starts keeping bees theirselves. Everyone can be a commercial beekeeper with only around $13,000NZD (200,000,000 VND) start-up capital. 10 years ago, number of commercial beekeeps can be counted in hands (very few). the general problem in our country is that when people sees someone else does a job with high revenue, they are willing to give up their old job to start this one. Nowadays, I can find beekeeper everywhere. Last year, price for 1kg honey was nearly $2.6NZD (40,000VND). this year it drops drastically to $1.6 ( around $2.2 for a litter). This is because We lost the contract with the US - the main honey importer of our country. they found that some samples of honey have an overwhelming percent of sugar. the reason for that: some beekeepers who raise bees in small scale feed the bees with lot of sugar syrup. We donot have an advanced tech to check the nutrition facts/ingredients of honey. Or eventhough we can check it, it would not be admitted. the sample must be sent to Germany. Vietnam donot have barganing price power, we accept price. If not, the beekeepers will die.

There is not many researches for keeping bees in Vietnam even we are at the top honey importer in the world. Most of beekeepers were famer, they have no knowledge or skills to do researches. the only thing they can do is trying to improve tools and share experiences through word of mouth.

About raising bee as it is in NZ, I think there were some people tried to do this since my father said it is not a effciency way; and the weather is the reason for that. You might need to know that we extract honey every 10 days to 2 weeks (or even 7 days if the sources are plentiful).

• 11 months later...
  • 3 months later...

This is about how pollen is collected. :).(This is not my own video - I copied from a Vietnam beekeeping group on FB).

It is maize (corn) pollen from Moc Chau - a rural district of Sơn La Province in the Northwest region of Vietnam.

• Like 2
I can see there is a lot of pollen wasted around the tray. With so many hives it may be a lot of pollen.

Where do you guys buy your grid from? It looks familiar.

Some people did not take care when collecting pollen. If they reduce the size of the doors and put the trays carefully, it would be more efficient.

They buy these grids from suppliers. (my family also sell it. We provide a manufacture a sample, then order it).

The trays in this videos are handmade. We used to make these trays from metal panels. Some people buy plastic trays instead.

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...
On 10/24/2015 at 9:27 PM, Cong said:

May be the same as yours. Varroa is one of the biggest problems in our country. two main kinds of them (one with black color and another is white).

I have read that Varroa is less of a problem is tropical countries - so that must have been fake news.

image.png.5d28bf00cb8e1de23cc071530a280e8d.png

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
On 28/01/2019 at 2:00 PM, Daniel Benefield said:

Hi @Cong are you still around? I'm trying to make contact with some Vietnamese beekeepers. 

Hello Daniel,

I have not logged in this site for a while. I am so sorry for my late response.

if you want to contact vietnamese beekeepers, you can leave a message or a call at (Private contact details removed) I will try my best to help.

Edited by Trevor Gillbanks