Nicholas

Towards natural beekeeping: supporting bees to thrive

Screened Bottom Board

Screened Bottom Board

I've stopped making/using open floors, as I found them too cold. I use a raised base which puts my floors at 300mm from the ground. I also use a smaller entrance of 150 x 12mm with 25mm risers, again I think this has benefits for the hive/brood and most importantly I use single Jumbo brood boxes as this gives a better brood sphere/volume with correct space for honey above the brood.

I then run QE's and Manley frames in 3/4 depth boxes for my harvest honey.

9 hours ago, Debby Cochran said:

Following

Welcome. Like Facebook you need to watch the topic to turn on post notifications. They are that the top of each topic.

Hey thanks for bringing this thread back from 2015 Debby. People like Nicholas are never normally held to account.

Thing with these kind of keyboard warriors who lecture everyone about where we are wrong and how things should be done, is that they can never make their theories work themselves. In 2015 Nicholas stated he and others are doing it and will let us know how it goes in due course. 2019 now and we are still waiting......

On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2015 at 10:16 AM, Nicholas said:

The truth is, most honeybee colonies in New Zealand are managed as a commodity for pollination and honey production. The way they are kept is in direct opposition to their natural lifecycle and hive environment, and severely compromises their immunity and health.

We need a radical shift in the way bees are kept to most closely mimic the hive environment that bees create and thrive in naturally. It is in this environment they have persisted, without intervention, for hundreds of thousands of years.

On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2015 at 11:39 AM, Alastair said:

How about actually do this, then in 2 years tell us how it went. Theories without street cred are in abundance.

On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2015 at 12:29 PM, Nicholas said:

Yes I and others are doing so, and will let you know how it goes. In the mean time I feel the conversation is a good place to start?

Edited by Alastair
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

Have to say , when I first read the title of this thread I thought it would be of interest....but no.

Natural beekeeping....unfortunately it just came across as click bait. I kept thinking about this and you know what?

What I do, I think is natural beekeeping.

Somebody who suddenly discovers that after all these years, they can finally have a hive within their physical capabilities. 

They decide to plant trees and shrubs and the little plants modern gardeners scorn.

Then one day they realise that maybe they should actually get a hive rather than just dream about it.

And then they do. Its simply a natural progression.

The desire to have a hive that is in tune with its environment, the ebb and flow of the seasons...not too big and not too small...

After all its a natural assumption that all living beings would exists as god made them if only they were given the chance to be as they should.

A good home, clean water, organic- (pity we even need to add that bit) food, fresh air and lots of sunshine in summer....a nice cold winter, but not too cold nor too long.

Its a natural progression from desire to actuality.... then along comes reality.

I remember a Greek blessing..'.may you enjoy all that life has to offer, all the laughter and the tears, all the sorrows and the joys.'

However, I'm not too sure there is anything natural about Varroa.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mischief said:

Have to say , when I first read the title of this thread I thought it would be of interest....but no.

Natural beekeeping....unfortunately it just came across as click bait. I kept thinking about this and you know what?

What I do, I think is natural beekeeping.

Somebody who suddenly discovers that after all these years, they can finally have a hive within their physical capabilities. 

They decide to plant trees and shrubs and the little plants modern gardeners scorn.

Then one day they realise that maybe they should actually get a hive rather than just dream about it.

And then they do. Its simply a natural progression.

The desire to have a hive that is in tune with its environment, the ebb and flow of the seasons...not too big and not too small...

After all its a natural assumption that all living beings would exists as god made them if only they were given the chance to be as they should.

A good home, clean water, organic- (pity we even need to add that bit) food, fresh air and lots of sunshine in summer....a nice cold winter, but not too cold nor too long.

Its a natural progression from desire to actuality.... then along comes reality.

I remember a Greek blessing..'.may you enjoy all that life has to offer, all the laughter and the tears, all the sorrows and the joys.'

However, I'm not too sure there is anything natural about Varroa.

@jamesc gets a bit like this in the middle of the night with his Speights

• Haha 2

Dont get me wrong.... I enjoy water, but not when it’s this colour,as it seems to have been for wuite a while now

826C8AEB-791A-45DD-B576-4BE726B4A87B.jpeg

• Confused 1