Would beekeepers benefit from locations of flowers/trees/shrubs/plants that facilitate bees?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Would beekeepers benefit from locations of flowers/trees/shrubs/plants that facilitate bees?

Hey there, I'm a student at Lincoln University creating a community map for the Canterbury township of Lyttelton. One aspect of this map will be designed to support the re-localisation of food production and promote resource resilience within the Lyttelton Harbour basin. Food security and flexibility will become large problems in the coming future, which is why I need your help.

Bees, bees are one organism that agriculture and food production would crumble without. One layer or group of layers of this map will focus on bees and honey production. I have already created a layer of vendors or contributors to the Lyttelton Farmers Market that features Sheehan Apiaries. But I was considering featuring the locations of local beekeepers, their hives, and also, using points the locations of plants/trees/shrubs/flowers that bees prefer.

Do you believe that local beekeepers would publicly share the locations of their hives? I know this information is registered with AssureQuality, but could this be shared publicly? Would they benefit from the locations of flowers etc. as to place their hives accordingly? As I think that local hobbyists would enjoy this information, and the community of Lyttelton would love to share the location of plants in their backyard in support of bees.

I'm just a passionate student though, that knows next to nothing about the industry which is why your input would be extremely appreciated. :)

- Would beekeepers benefit from locations of flowers/trees/shrubs/plants that facilitate bees?

- Would beekeepers share hive locations publicly?

- Would hobbyists benefit from this information too?

Thanks immensely,

Matt C.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

@Grant waves at @Matt Couldrey from the Bookshop (y)

Do you believe that local beekeepers would publicly share the locations of their hives?

No. Especially in a manuka environment. Security and theft are the issues. We've tried to do it here in the past and there is no appetite for it. General area is indicated from a couple of sites, but for what you want to do its not specific enough.

Would they benefit from the locations of flowers etc. as to place their hives accordingly?

Again that has implications in an industry where there is no middle ground. People are either great at sharing or go underground if they think people are getting too nosy. I think a lot of older beeks would view this with suspicion and wouldn't want others knowing of a site that yields good results.

I can't see any serious beekeeper agreeing, and it's certainly illegal for AssureQuality to pass it on. I wonder if it's even possible, the forage conditions at any given site can be very transitory, good one week, hopeless the next.

If people want to be really useful they can contribute to the New Zealand Plant Conservation Network's Phenology recording system.