Grant

Coming to a pet store near you

Oh dear. Not another one. What's the matter with these companies?

Most of us would love to help the bees but have no idea how to establish our own hives. The genius team behind the BEEcosystem aims to change that with their modular indoor observation beehives that ship with the colony already established. This removes the guesswork, not to mention the fear, of getting a hive established. With the devastating decline of honeybees threatening our food supply, it is more critical than ever for humanity to get involved in restoring their populations! - See more at: You Can Now Keep Bees As Indoor Pets With The ‘BEEcosystem’

BEEcosystem-indoor-beehive-green-towers-lead-1.jpg.acf2e02f85a5949fd0e8950cac63ebcb.jpg

BEEcosystem-indoor-beehive-green-towers-lead-1.jpg.acf2e02f85a5949fd0e8950cac63ebcb.jpg

*BANGS*

*HEAD*

*AGAINST*

*WALL*

Ssssh, you'l jolt the Beecosystem

Bees inside your house sounds, like a great idea. What could go wrong:lol:lol

I am so glad they mention Varroa, AFB, DWV, Chalk brood, PMS, Nosema, Tutin and swarming in the article.:rofl: :thumbdown:

Can anybody detect my sarcasm? :what:

Can anybody detect my sarcasm? :what:

Only on the 2nd line :rofl:

Can anyone tell me if we are able to buy these Beecosystems or something similar in New Zealand at all yet??

No. They're not legal in NZ

Theres a very large one in Taupo at the Honey Hive

Outside where the entrance / exit pipe is there is lots of dead bees but the hive itself looked ok mind you I havent been there for 5 yrs

Hi. Is there a company in New Zealand that can supply this type of indoor hive? Really keen for our Enviro School here in Waikato.

16 minutes ago, Sandra-Lee said:

Hi. Is there a company in New Zealand that can supply this type of indoor hive? Really keen for our Enviro School here in Waikato.

On 19/03/2019 at 8:50 PM, Grant said:

No. They're not legal in NZ

@Sandra-Lee

Please read the post two up from yours. These are not legal here.

I would suggest keeping a normal (Langstroth) beehive at your school instead. I have been keeping a beehive at my children's primary school (also an enviroschool) for quite a few years now. To get started the best bet would be to find a local beekeeper with some bee experience that is interested in helping out. Spring is the best time of year to start.

There are also plenty of legal options for observation hives that would work in a classroom, they just need to have removable frames so that the brood can be inspected.

You can have glass hives as long as they are designed so they can be checked for AFB (a bee disease). You also need an experienced beekeeper to care for it, they will not live a very long time on their own the design is too unnatural, among other reasons.

I completely agree with Alistair. I estimate about 50% of new beekeepers lose their hive within the first year and that's using conventional gear. Observation hives are fun and educational for people but not a very nice environment for bees and need almost constant supervision which includes a backup hive to provide top ups of brood and bees when necessary , they can also occasionally run out of room and you have to take surplus brood and bees away. There is a big difference between setting up an observation hive for one day and setting one up to operate permanently..

So if you have an observation hive like this in your house and it has AFB...

does your house have to be burned as well? 😉

• Haha 4

10 hours ago, Christi An said:

So if you have an observation hive like this in your house and it has AFB...

does your house have to be burned as well? 😉

In theory Yes.  Just like all the mobile hive units in Europe.  I am sure they burn the whole trailer unit if they get 1 AFB hive.

Just kidding.  Of course not.  It is a separate entity.

• Haha 2

there indeed have been cases where whole apiaries (with clinically healthy and spore free hives) were ordered to be burned by over zealous officials with little to no understanding of bees and AFB

It would be interesting to know the specific case which was ordered by officials who had no understanding of bees or AFB.

Nothing to do with 4.9 sized cell beekeeping by any chance?

• Agree 1

55 minutes ago, Christi An said:

there indeed have been cases where whole apiaries (with clinically healthy and spore free hives) were ordered to be burned by over zealous officials with little to no understanding of bees and AFB

Do you have an actual proveable example of that.  I presume you are talking about Europe in this case.

I do not know of any examples here in New Zealand.

yes i was indeed talking about a particular case in germany this winter. sorry this wasnt clear.

• Thanks 1

Oh. Thought you were talking here in NZ.

25 minutes ago, Christi An said:

yes i was indeed talking about a particular case in germany this winter. sorry this wasnt clear.

Have you ever seen one of those beautiful hive trailers burnt .

Does that happen .?

52 minutes ago, Alastair said:

Oh. Thought you were talking here in NZ.

sorry. you mentioned 4.9 cell beekeepers. is there any correlation between cell size and AFB?

i always thought they only claim/pretend to not have to treat for varroa - rumor has it that some of them are very good customers of the package bee industry (again not talking about nz here)

39 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

Have you ever seen one of those beautiful hive trailers burnt .

Does that happen .?

No i havent. Also dont see why that would be necessary from a disease elimination point of view.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Christi An said:

sorry. you mentioned 4.9 cell beekeepers. is there any correlation between cell size and AFB?

Don't think there is a correlation one way or the other. Just, you mentioned an AFB apiary being burned and I knew that a litle while back there were some 4.9 cell sized hives in Gisborne burned with AFB, you are in Gisborne, so i thought that may be the incident you were referring to.

Now you said Europe, so i know better. 🙂

Edited by Alastair
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1