Prevent and control swarms for hobbyist bee keepers

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes @tudor good outline of what and why.

Though I would have also mentioned the Drone build up factor as part of the hive preparing to swarm.

I run single Jumbo brood boxes with 11 frames which are about the same comb area as 19 x 3/4 depth.

I am now seeing the first natural queen/play cups starting on the edges of frames, this is the last of the signs I look for and am now adding second checker boarded jumbo brood boxes or taking a 3 frame brood split from the hive to discourage them moving to the final stage of actually swarming.

• Like 1

Thank you for a well put together and timely resource. Very easy to understand and follow. Myself and a BK friend split my rather vigorous hive on Monday, first time we have done this. Hopefully all will be well. The hardest part is to keep myself to peeking in and seeing what the girls are up to!!!

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...

Thank You I have found this resource very helpful..I was wondering why my bees were filling the brood cells with nectar when I checked them on Sunday. I thought that it may have been because I was overfeeding them with sugar syrup.. I have only had this nuc for just over a month so hoping they dont swarm as they are building up nicely. It has a new season Queen.

• Like 1