Grant

New Zealand swarm dates for season 2015/16

Swarm reports are coming in early this year. I already know of a Christchurch event from the beginning of last week and reports are also coming in from Auckland. Please post your 2015 Season swarm reports.

• Like 2

14th Sept. Out making splits and found first of the season swarm cells in a very strong double. Made a nuc with the existing Queen to take away and left 4 new nucs with 2 or 3 cells in each on site. Left them on site with all the entrances same position as the old hive to equally divide the field bees.

• Like 4

We have collected our first ever swarm in Okuku last week. All seem well settled in their new home. YAY!

Well done, and welcome to the forum

First call was September 8th in Palmerston North, but it had left by the time I got someone there.

Second one today (Sept 29th) which I managed to get with the aid of a long pole with a bucket on the end.

• Like 2

Looks like we have a swarm in one of our bait hives on the Aotea harbour. Second swarm this year. Both into bait hives.

• Like 4

If is not a drought it is a flood.

First call this afternoon was for a swarm in a chimney. I went and had a look and decided I would need some extra gear and I will do it tomorrow morning before the bees get working.

Then having an afternoon cuppa and I got a call for a swarm all over a fence. Nice quick vacuum job, 30 min and all done.

• Like 4

No. Cold and wet here. I think another 2 weeks yet.

Looks like your 2 weeks went pretty quick :sick: <- that's me, green with envy

Looks like your 2 weeks went pretty quick :sick:

Yes. A little quicker than I thought.

Let's hope for a good extraction tomorrow.

• Like 1

IMG_20150930_141412.jpg.067cd2cf8a78478c11fdbe79b981bb17.jpg

Swarm season I think well under way in Christchurch, this swarm was from our hives, and it was well tangled in a blackberry bush. I'm running around like mad splitting hives, as quite of few of mine are full of swarm cells, this one I was clearly too late for.

IMG_20150930_141412.jpg.067cd2cf8a78478c11fdbe79b981bb17.jpg

• Like 4

I got the swarm out of the chimney without any problems. Used the Bee Vac and it was all over pretty quick.

• Like 3

I bet my method utilising a box of matches and a couple of newspapers would be quicker...I'll race ya next time eh ?

When does the swarm season usually start in Christchurch? Obviously well underway now

I haven't seen any cells in my hives yet fortunately and I probably won't due to splitting quite hard, touch wood. But a guy I know has caught 2 so they're definitely starting here.

@Vincent Channon will try catch one for you ;) we can requeen it

If anyone finds a spare swarm I'd love the opportunity to have bees again.

First swarm called in this evening and being picked up by one of our "Swarmers".

Sounds like a good prime swarm, larger than a rugby ball and only 1 m off the ground.

• Like 4

Another Italian swarm today 4/10 at Mangere Bridge Auckland, good prime swarm some 4m up a totora, filled two Warrē boxes.

• Like 3