redbee

NZBF first hive

We purchased our first hive off trademe 3 years ago. We were completely naive. We just knew we wanted to keep bees. We had read a few books and thought how hard can this be.:lol

Looking back the guy we purchased the hive off appeared to be 'scared' of the bees. It was a strong single FD. He opened it to show us the bees, but everything he did was fast and very annoying to the bees. We really had no idea of what we were looking at. He was not interested in helping us at all. He just wanted to sell the hive.

This was a great hive. Very quiet if you worked it slow without any fast movements.

The best thing we did was to join a beeclub. One member became our mentor and he is wonderful.

We have since split this hive and now have three. I think this is more than enough for a hobby beekeeper.

The honey was to us a by product of having bees. We just found their whole social setup and what they do fascinating. Still do today

Finding this forum was another great step in our thirst for knowledge and the feeling of community

In saying that though I do find it hard to post because I realise how little I know compared to most here.

As I have read recently most questions have been asked in one form or another.

To the older forum members, please understand most of us beginners just want to learn. Yes you can read through the other posts, but sometimes it is great just to join in even though it is a question that has been asked often over the years. To have one of the older forum members answer you question and take an interest is a real buzz. It makes you feel a part of this wonderful hobby of beekeeping and part of the online community. :)

• Like 5

1: good post

2: the only dumb question is the one you don't ask

3: no-one, no matter how long they have been beekeeping, knows it all

4: everyone who keeps bees, no matter how badly, has something worth sharing

When you get it right, share so others can learn what works

When you get it wrong, share so others don't have to make the same mistakes

What is right for one beekeeper, on one day, in one place, for one hive, might not be right for you.

That said, if someone asks something that has been answered a thousand times, they should not take offence if they don't get an immediate and respectful reply.

• Like 2

That said, if someone asks something that has been answered a thousand times, they should not take offence if they don't get an immediate and respectful reply.

What about if the question has only been asked 999 times? Still friendly I hope.

• Like 1

1: good post

2: the only dumb question is the one you don't ask

3: no-one, no matter how long they have been beekeeping, knows it all

4: everyone who keeps bees, no matter how badly, has something worth sharing

When you get it right, share so others can learn what works

When you get it wrong, share so others don't have to make the same mistakes

What is right for one beekeeper, on one day, in one place, for one hive, might not be right for you.

And thank you for the advice...hive home and settled well...cheers again.

• Like 2

What about if the question has only been asked 999 times? Still friendly I hope.

One (ME) would REALLY hope!! We nubees don't ever want to P*** you off! It is hard sifting through years of discussions. Just as it might be hard to suffer the same question 999 times! Thanks Trevor and ALL for the info supplied here on this site. FANTASTIC. ❤

• Like 1