Theres been alot of articles in Ozzy papers recently about Capilano and how excited they are to be supplying manuka honey to China.

Even more excited at the hope of out doing NZ in the supply stakes.

Heres a link to one of many

The China-Australia FTA looks sweet for honey giant Capilano | Business Insider

"manuka.... clinically proven as helpful for wounds, skin conditions and stomach ulcers "

Where do they get this internal use proof of benefit from ?

And try it with some carrot seed ...

:)

Cures bladness too lol :cautious::lol

been searching the world wide web for bladness, clinical symptoms etc, no joy, please explain.

( where are the spelling police when you need them)

Love auto correct new iPhone but could be bladness as well. one teaspoon a day for you should help. (y)(y):P

And another one which is even more interesting and wide ranging.

Look out for Aussie Manuka making a dent in NZ exports it could mean the price eases back as supply matches demand

And another one which is even more interesting and wide ranging.

Look out for Aussie Manuka making a dent in NZ exports it could mean the price eases back as supply matches demand

Not if the buyers check out the honey extraction facilities just like they are going to do here next month

wow. 83 different species of tea tree over there and only 2 here.

quite likely there will be one species that beats manuka.

Apparently food grade Active honey is fetching the same price as medical grade so you can imagine why the packers and producers are so keen to keep it that way.

I still wonder why Comvita are putting so much time and money into Oz Manuka ?

I guess we will find out soon enough.

• Like 1

The value of Ozzy Manuka is nothing more than the name. It is my belief Comvita is using the name "Ozzy Manuka" as a publicity stunt to gain recognition in honey markets overseas. I may be wrong but it looks as if Australian beekeepers have been sent off on a fools errand chasing rainbows for the marketing whims of Comvita.

• Like 1

Not sure that its a fools errand, Comvita cant satisfy demand with NZ sourced honey alone. If they purchase Aussie Manuka they can push the price they currently pay the NZ supplier right down.

The price they sell on for wont change so their margins will be huge.

With so many new honey producers getting into Active honey and taking on big debt to do it they will be like lambs to the slaughter.

The idea is to get on the gravy train with no or very little debt and ride it till it crashes.

Not take on a big debt and end up with nothing.

Doable for existing beekeepers not so much for newbees

• Like 3

so can kiwis go to ozzy, buy a few hives and start plonking or do they have regulations there (apparently you can get shot by an other beek for doing that sort of thing over there)

We would welcome Kiwis to Ozz, yes you can buy hives and go beekeeping, just need to comply with the various State regulations which are less onerous than what appears in NZ. Must have landholders permission. In WA you will need to register apiary sites to use government land. No Varroa mites allowed so all new bee gear needed.

• Like 2

We would welcome Kiwis to Ozz, yes you can buy hives and go beekeeping, just need to comply with the various State regulations which are less onerous than what appears in NZ. Must have landholders permission. In WA you will need to register apiary sites to use government land. No Varroa mites allowed so all new bee gear needed.

What about just a few mites? We could swap for some of your beetles...

do they have active manuka in aus, in their tea tree varieties

• Like 1

Sorry Jerm, if you come to WA there are no beetles to swap with. '

I was told by a beekeeper here a few weeks ago that Aussie Tea tree Manuka has to be stored for 12 months before it can be sold to give it time to become active, can anyone elaborate on this. The Beekeeper has contacts within the Ag Dept so I would think it is true. Maybe we do not have "real" Manuka in WA after all.

Sorry Jerm, if you come to WA there are no beetles to swap with. '

I was told by a beekeeper here a few weeks ago that Aussie Tea tree Manuka has to be stored for 12 months before it can be sold to give it time to become active, can anyone elaborate on this. The Beekeeper has contacts within the Ag Dept so I would think it is true. Maybe we do not have "real" Manuka in WA after all.

The active component Methylgloxal develops from a precursor substance, dihydroxyacetone. Over time, the latter develops into the former. Some reading here : http://www.umf.org.nz/Modules/LSDocumentManager/DocumentDownload.aspx?DocumentId=323

@Dennis C Earnshaw, NZ Manuka that contains MGO and a DHA above 500 can be stored. The MGO will increase and the DHA will decrease over time. It therefore grows in activity. If you store too long, the activity also begins to decrease. Please anyone correct me if I've got it wrong.

Having to store Ozzy Manuka for 12 months before getting paid will take the shine off the concept, for many as it would stretch the cash flow beyond breaking point. The commercial beekeeper who spoke to me about the opportunity to go for Manuka told me it would present him with cash flow problem in the short term. He felt there was additional risk in that the market price could change over the 12 month waiting time and the fact that yields are still unknown, for him it did not warrant the large fuel bills to shift the hives in the first place. He will wait and see if others make money first.