Grant

NZ Apiculture Industry Update September 2015

NZ Apiculture Industry Update September 2015

To all Apiculture Industry members,

New peak body for apiculture industry one step closer

The apiculture industry is one step closer to forming a new industry association following the inaugural meeting of the interim Apiculture Industry Governance Board (AIGB).

The AIGB, which met for the first time last week, has been tasked with establishing the new entity by the target date of April 1, 2016.

This follows the recent 2015 Apiculture Industry Conference at which delegates indicated overwhelmingly that they favoured ‘unification’ and the establishment of a new peak body for the industry.

The new AIGB comprises 11 members from the apiculture industry and an independent chair who also has industry experience.

Board members were selected by an independent consultant after applying for their roles following the 2015 conference. Full details of the board are available onwww.beeunified.org.

The AIGB is operating to a terms of reference that focusses solely on the creation and establishment of the new industry organisation.

They are working to a tight deadline and there is a lot of work to do in coming months to ensure the organisation is ‘open for business’ by the due date.

A key priority is to draft a proposed constitution and rules for the new organisation.

Because the NBA is being used as a ‘platform’ for the new organisation, the new rules and organisational structure will be based on the NBA’s, but they will be modernised and updated to reflect the wider apiculture industry as it is in 2015.

This will require NBA members to formally approve the new constitution and rules through a special vote that will be held later this year.

In the meantime, a detailed work plan is being developed to project manage the development of the new organisation over coming months, and support its first year of existence through to March 31, 2017.

Once finalised, that work plan will be posted on the beeunified.org website along with regular updates about the AIGB’s progress.

For NBA members only

At this stage, it is likely the NBA will offer 2016 subscriptions to existing members for only two months of next year - February and March, 2016. Subscription notices will be sent out in October 2015. There are two reasons for this two month subscription period:

1. Existing NBA members will have paid a 2015 subscription based on 13 months – up until the end of January 2016. This was done as part of moves at the time to transfer the NBA’s financial year from January to December to March to April.
  2. It is envisaged that the new organisation will begin operating from April 1, 2016, and also that – probably in January or February - it will call for subscriptions for a 12 month period (April 1, 2016 – March 31, 2017). Subscription levels and membership categories will be finalised in coming months.

People who were not members of the NBA in 2015, but who want to join for the coming year are welcome to do so. They will pay three months of subscriptions (January – March inclusive) and can then choose to join the new organisation from April 1, 2016.

Kind regards,

Apiculture Industry Governance Board

Got mine today.

'We are intent on developing a modern and forward thinking association that is capable of, and able to, lead and support our increasingly diverse industry in the 21st century. This is especially so with the interrelated interests and stakeholders in the Industry that all have a place to play to make it a success.'

No comment from me

I cant help thinking that we will lose something with this new organisation seeming to want to include all and sundry rather than concentrating on beekeeping and beekeepers.

It probably sounds like I'm banging on about Manuka all the time but I truely believe our industry is only popular right now because of it. What happens to this new organisation when the boom busts? What will be left?

Beekeepers will exit the industry in droves, the suppliers will have no one to supply, the packers will have honey no one wants and we will have an organisation thats pretty much useless.

Or am I being far too pessimistic?

At this point when the NBA folds I dont see myself joining the new organisation.

• Like 2

Please stand back. and ask yourself some questions

Who the devil started this bull dust unification scheme, Dennis Crowley say's it was the beekeepers... utter crap !!

Exactly who are these people of the IAIGB ?

If you create a new board, do the board members get to the trough first ?

How much do you give / promise to get on the board

Where the hell is all this money coming from to print bumf, hold meetings / conferences &c ? is it

Fed / farmers, ..no ! ,,what about NBA ... ha ha your joking right ! what about a honey packer, ummmm,

well funny you should mention that, as there is ONE on the board

WHY, WHY, WHY would you spend this considerable amount coin on some so called ' unification scheme ????

So if your not an NBA you only get a 1/2 eaten ham sandwich, ( no voting rights for you ? ) is this a glimpse of the future ? how about us 4,500 beeks nz wide

Come on fellas, thee guys are all smoke and mirrors, someone has injected a lot of money to pump themselves up to look like something they aren't ...how much is that spin doctor costing ?....get it through your head ...... their nevill nobodies

Can you believe they treat YOU and I with such condescending indifference !

Can we vote on a new name and flag at the same time hahaha lol ... what a pack of jerks

Just to let you know, I haven,t been twiddling my thumbs while Rome burns,

• Like 1

I cant help thinking that we will lose something with this new organisation seeming to want to include all and sundry rather than concentrating on beekeeping and beekeepers.

I totally agree. @frazzledfozzle

Because they want to include all and sundry, I can't help thinking there will be some of the fat cats licking the cream from the top of the milk.

I was under the impression that we were looking for a fresh start, but only current NBA members get to vote.

The article says

"That final version will then be put to a special vote of NBA members,"

Then they say.

"But our industry has changed hugely in that time and, like any business, we need to adapt with the times – or we go out of business!!

It’s that latter option we will avoid by restructuring the NBA, by adapting it to meet the needs of the current and future market and by making it relevant to the new breed of ‘stakeholders’ who now comprise the New Zealand apiculture industry."

Who exactly are these "new breed of stakeholders" I would like to ask them if they prefer wax or plastic foundation, do they run singles or doubles.

I feel it's like asking the fox to lock up the chicken coup.

• Like 4

It probably sounds like I'm banging on about Manuka all the time but I truely believe our industry is only popular right now because of it. What happens to this new organisation when the boom busts? What will be left?

Beekeepers will exit the industry in droves, the suppliers will have no one to supply, the packers will have honey no one wants and we will have an organisation thats pretty much useless.

Or am I being far too pessimistic?

At this point when the NBA folds I dont see myself joining the new organisation.

Maybe you will have to or at least pay a commoditylevy to cover the cost of the organisation you did not want to be part of.Democracy yeah right

I know an industry wide commodity levy is right at the top of the must do list.

If I understand it correctly you need to have an industry organisation approach government with a mandate from its members to seek a legal " thingy" that allows for a compulsary commodity levy.

Im not against this but I do wonder who and what that money would be spent on. You dont have to look too far in our industry to see what kind of money has been spent on all things Manuka and even the VSH gravy train .

I just hate the idea of the beekeeping industry being run by A few of the biggest beekeepers, Packers and suppliers.

What happens to the small family beekeeping outfits ?

• Like 1

They call themselves artisans and charge double!

• Like 3

WOW, your finally onto it fella's

If I understand it correctly you need to have an industry organisation approach government with a mandate from its members to seek a legal " thingy" that allows for a compulsory commodity levy.

You got it in one Frazzle ... I heard the alarm bell's ringing straight away when this crappy ' unification ' scheme raised it's ugly head !

The average and sensible BK doesn't want this ' above situation ' to happen ...

If any body would like to go back in history, ... Hitler had a ' unification ' project too, but the populus had a no vote on a new name and flag ... just like US

How do WE register a new name ?

How do we alert the hobbyist and smaller commercial as to what's on the card's ?.......

I believe the honey packer ( backer ) on the interim board used the NBA to get to the BK registration list " well they were good for something "

They call themselves artisans and charge double!

So they should, they keep the bees,process the honey and sell the product to the people that enjoy it.Good on them I say.

• Like 1

So they should, they keep the bees,process the honey and sell the product to the people that enjoy it.Good on them I say.

I didn't say it was a bad thing.:)

• Like 1

If I understand it correctly you need to have an industry organisation approach government with a mandate from its members to seek a legal " thingy" that allows for a compulsary commodity levy.

Im not against this but I do wonder who and what that money would be spent on. You dont have to look too far in our industry to see what kind of money has been spent on all things Manuka and even the VSH gravy train .

I just hate the idea of the beekeeping industry being run by A few of the biggest beekeepers, Packers and suppliers.

What would you have the levy spent on Frazz? What research would benefit your operation? I hope this question will get disseminated to all. . .

The scene of NZ beekeeping and honey production has changed - there are increasing pressures and new treatments, methods being adopted. . . and no research to support any of it because there's no money. Who funded the findings of the high levels of combined Nosema levels in Coromandel and others places? Our company did. Who funded the development of the tests to find new pathogens? see previous. That's not sustainable

There's no point in banging on about what the government/MPI are or aren't doing for NZ beekeeping because the industry is horribly fragmented and the collective weight/value of the industry is not apparent in the current organisations

What would you have the levy spent on Frazz? What research would benefit your operation? I hope this question will get disseminated to all. . .

The scene of NZ beekeeping and honey production has changed - there are increasing pressures and new treatments, methods being adopted. . . and no research to support any of it because there's no money. Who funded the findings of the high levels of combined Nosema levels in Coromandel and others places? Our company did. Who funded the development of the tests to find new pathogens? see previous. That's not sustainable

There's no point in banging on about what the government/MPI are or aren't doing for NZ beekeeping because the industry is horribly fragmented and the collective weight/value of the industry is not apparent in the current organisations

To me we need a test that every lab can use to differentiate between Manuka and Kanuka oyher wise here in New Zealand

As I said in my last post we run fowl of the consumer guarantee act if we xo not differentiate between Kanuka and Manuka.It is like calling Vipers Bugloss Blue Borage.2 completely different plants.

So after the manuka and kanuka @Roy Arbon then blue borage and Vipers bugloss should be the next one? :)

Actually, serious question - what are the other species needed for detection/discrimination

Using a number of tests currently being validated, the differentiation of manuka and kanuka is possible. "In every lab" depends on the lab!

Who funded the findings of the high levels of combined Nosema levels in Coromandel and others places? Our company did.

1) 1st very important question ... how the hell did it get here in the 1st place

2) who exactly, is your Co ?

3) listen here john, I bet there is more data on the net about nosema, in every shape and form, that you can shake a stick at, and I bet you charged the bk to test for it, ..Who funded the development of the tests to find new pathogens? you should have googled it, you fella's are so far behind the 8 ball it's embarrassing

I can't answer for frazzle, ... but wouldn't it be smarter to collate all research papers world wide, paying a nominal sum if necessary

plenty of uni students looking to do a thesis

@JohnF all Im saying is who gets to decide where the money is spent?

Will it be the big Manuka producers? The big packers? The big guns in the industry?

I think it will.

Just from the top of my head Theres hundreds of thousands of dollars gone into VSH, what has come of that? Manuka plantations, who does that benefit? C4 sugars in honey whos problem is that?

But when the really important issues need funding like The colony collapse in the Coromandel whos backing that?

What would I like to see? I would like to see every beekeeper in NZ eligible for 5 free bee health lab tests every year.

I would like to see research and marketing into NZ honey other than Manuka.

• Like 2

@JohnF What would I like to see? I would like to see every beekeeper in NZ eligible for 5 free bee health lab tests every year.

I would like to see research and marketing into NZ honey other than Manuka.

Now we're talking! (y)

How about funding for...

@Roy Arbon 's VSH s/c work or...

Queen breeders...or

Research on 'new and old' diseases?...or

Protecting our borders...

Selling 'Manuka' is the easy part, keeping our bees health/going is what counts most! IMHO

• Like 1

Just read the details of the interim board members.

And found this, strong personal commitment to make the back country of New Zealand as successful and prosperous as the dairy industry. Really, will some one pinch me so that I stop laughing.

So the government is going to give hand ups and hand outs every bad season, wow!! And the beekeeping industry is going to explode on billions of dollars of overseas borrowed money, just like dairy, and then feed hundreds of millions of dollars of interest overseas, just can't wait for that. Dairy screwed the streams, rivers and lakes and covered the land in radioactive phosphate, wow, just what extra privileges are beekeepers going to get, can't wait to find out that one. After full setup of the new regime will there eventually be only one processor and the price paid nationally be determined by the board, just like dairy, that will keep it all simple and easy won't it, man this is exciting!!

Starting tomorrow my bees will be getting lessons on how to belch methane, which I hope to harvest and bottle in really big bottles because it will be needed to fuel the big new central honey processing centres.

• Like 3

Can I recommend you guys do your research before making pretty speculative comments. All the relevant info is on the beeunified.org site. The way I read it, there is an interim board tasked with setting up a single body to represent the whole industry (rather than a bunch of fragmented groups). They won't have anything to do with setting prices, or controlling processing i.e. not like the Fonterra or Zespri model. And as to comments related to the broader industry, for us smaller commercial beekeepers, we need the honey buyers and exporters to sell our product. So why wouldn't they be part of a broader industry group??? Beekeepers alone don't represent the whole industry - only a part of the whole value chain. So can I suggest we all broaden our views a bit on this, rather than being negative and throwing a bunch of wild assertions into the forum.

rather than being negative and throwing a bunch of wild assertions into the forum

Good luck with that :D