What are bees foraging on 2015/16 season?

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

MY honey is off, everything from here on is for the bees.

I'd let them shove the privet .... too :lol Just did the first of my spoon & spatula things this morning. I'm thinking about sending a bit off for analysis just for the hell of it.

We have an well established, some would say old, silk tree (Albizia julibrissin)

I was expecting to see bees a buzzing and have been puzzled not to see them foraging on it. One site said the tree needs a sunny morning to release it's nectar for bee lunch? Is it a case of our bees are spoilt for choice?....

I don't believe that for a moment...really it's pouring down or you can't mow against the wind...

actually could do with the wind , there is no wind now which generally means rain and no sun .

it would be good to have sun and no wind but one can't be greedy

bees on the aka rata vine, metrosideros perforata.

it is common here and provides a surplus in a good year.

it is flowering its little heart out this year which is just as well as not much else is.

does anyone else in the forum have it common in their area

WP_20160119_15_34_39_Pro.jpg.b9b874d1c15a69419a9b9a232a76dcb9.jpg

WP_20160119_15_34_39_Pro.jpg.b9b874d1c15a69419a9b9a232a76dcb9.jpg

• Like 1

I am quite concerned about robbing this year.

The nectar flows have not been great and an out of area beek has Italian bees that rob a lot.

I have not done my self any favours by planting a lot of forage for my bees.

It just attracts all the bees and when the flow stops my carniolans get hammered.

• 3 weeks later...
Seen some Black Wattle in the Waitakeres, some Bottle Brush and a few late Pohutekawas. Either the Waitakeres are overstocked with Colonies or we've had a 'slow' summer. :(

My bet out there is over stocking. With the weather we have had it should have been a bumper i would have thought.

Bees all over the melons and cucumber now. Aubergine just coming into flower but haven't seen any bee visitors yet.

bees never seem very interested in any of the solanum family. maybe it is other smaller insects that pollinate them

My bet out there is over stocking. With the weather we have had it should have been a bumper i would have thought.

we have not had a good season.

here it is not overstocking but a late start to the season.

the weather has been great lately but my hives have built up on the flow not for the flow.

it was a very windy oct and nov / dec so they could not forage far when things were flowering

and i had trouble with mating queens so there were a lot of brood breaks

the weather has been great lately but my hives have built up on the flow not for the flow.

I think the same sort of thing happens every year here, as though the effective summer season lags the official solar season by about a month. Not so crash hot if tutin is a concern, lots of late harvest I'm not going to touch.

• Like 2