Janice

What are bees foraging on 2015/16 season?

Wikipedia says hinau flowers in the spring, but it certainly looks very similar. Thanks @kaihoka and @Charles

yes it is late , my hinau is just finished really , and bees do love it and the honey is supposed to be nice

I planted Borage before I got my bees, now I have bees I have only seen them on the Borrage plant a few time, mostly bumble bees on them, I noticed the honey bees on the plant were scrambling over the long stems that protrude from the flower and not going into the flower itself, it was like the they couldn't get to the centre of the flower because of the stem things that come out from the flower, they then flew to the next flower and what looked like tripping over and fumbling around over the flower stems, where the bumble bees on the plant just forced there way through the stems to the flower, brut force style. Now I'm wondering if Borrage is worth planting for Honey Bees?

I'm in Lower Hutt too and planted sage and borage for my bees, but nothing but bumble bees as well. Also have lavender & passion fruit and only bumble bees on them too. In fact I've never seen so many bumble bees in the garden before. Maybe someone has a hive of them locally?

I'm in Lower Hutt too and planted sage and borage for my bees, but nothing but bumble bees as well. Also have lavender & passion fruit and only bumble bees on them too. In fact I've never seen so many bumble bees in the garden before. Maybe someone has a hive of them locally?

Its the same here where I am.

Every hive is surrounded by dead bumble bees. Even Big Queens which I thought stayed indoors after spring.

I'm not sure what normal levels of bumblebees are in my area, but every time I go and watch the goings on in my hive for 10 or so minutes, I see at least a few bumblebees come and circle the hive. None have been brave enough to enter yet from what I've observed - and the lack of bodies.

Theres been a huge increase in the number of bumblebees around here over the past two or three years.

I have no idea why but its very noticeable

I have noticed an increase in bumbles too.

I thought it was because I was planting all this food for my bees that the bumbles also liked.

Maybe when varroa knocked out all the wild hives they had less compete ion for resources.

I never notice them hasseling my hives till right at the end of the season.

And even then not much.

My Borrage plants are getting hammered by bumble bee, but there are now plenty of honey bees on them too, not sure if they are mine or not!

First pohutukawa flowers seen yesterday! Beautiful Kiwi Christmas trees!

Amazing flowering of Euc globulus (the old Blue Gum trees all down the Peninsula), look as if they are covered with snow, bees very noisy.

And pohutukawa is opening, and the big linden (Tilia, aka lime) in the garden is opening, lots of bees especially humble bees.

And kanuka opening well, we hope that a few falls of rain will help prolong the flow from these trees.

We took off the first spring honey early this week, only a couple of boxes but very nice and water 16%. Lots more honey coming, but will need 3-4 weeks before taking any more.

And no need to check for tutin !

:)

• Like 3

I was up hiking in Pirongia Forest Park today.

We walked past 152 hives in two bordering paddocks before climbing the mountain.

All the way to the top, the air was alive with the sound of busy bees.

Does anyone know what this native is they were collecting from?

[ATTACH=full]11830[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]11831[/ATTACH]

For the record, I have confirmed that this plant is Tawari:)

• Like 1

thanks we do not have tawari down here.

that would explain why the flowers were sitting up on the branches not hanging down like hinau.

and why it was flowering so late.

it looks a very pretty tree i wonder if it would grow here

i have seen the bees on the heavily flowering mahoe/whitey wood today.

it is the first time i have seen them working this plant.

i have also seen them in the olives.

i think this is a sign of how poor the season is here, with the constant wind affecting the manuka and clover flow and the rata being a no show this year

i think this is a sign of how poor the season is here, with the constant wind affecting the manuka and clover flow
exactly the same here. My honey boxes are looking neglected sitting in the shed.

I'd not heard of Tawari either, and unfortunately there is none close to my bees.

I dunno about olives but my bees have always preferred flax & mahoe to our kanuka. I'm lucky if I see one bee a day on any of our couple of dozen kanuka.

• Like 1

Ixerba brexioides Tawari grows naturally only from Lake Waikaremoana to Northland.

• Like 1

Looks like our bees are ignoring the Kanuka in preference for the clover . Had a quick look at one site to see how much honey was capped and the frames are packed and dripping with clear nectar !

Looks like our bees are ignoring the Kanuka in preference for the clover . Had a quick look at one site to see how much honey was capped and the frames are packed and dripping with clear nectar !

not uncommon. had a hive site right in the middle of kanuka/manuka mix and they flew right over the top of that and went a mile to go pull in clover.

not uncommon. had a hive site right in the middle of kanuka/manuka mix and they flew right over the top of that and went a mile to go pull in clover.

Effort for the result, clover will win everytime.

The paddocks here that were cut for silage a few weeks ago are now white with clover flowers . Looks quite impressive . I would drag some hives back to them but the hives are doing so well where they are , there isn't much point in shifting them .

exactly the same here. My honey boxes are looking neglected sitting in the shed.

I'd not heard of Tawari either, and unfortunately there is none close to my bees.

i hope things are looking up for you.

we have just had a few hot windless days so i am expecting an improvement in nectar collection

I saw the bees covering the pohutakawa in Whangamata, and on clover and pohutakawa in Whiritoa. Didn't see any bees in Te Aroha - and I was looking. The sparrows were camped out in the pohutakawa trees chasing the bees across the flowers.

Seems to be a lot more bees about in the Coromandel than here in Auckland.

A lot of poorly hidden apiaries between Waihi and Whangamata as well. Direct access of the State Highway.

A lot of poorly hidden apiaries between Waihi and Whangamata as well. Direct access of the State Highway.

Sounds like you play "spot the beehive" on your road trips too. :-) Great family fun.

Better than eye spy... :)