Hi all

Like to try a few boxes of wooden sections. Have searched forum and a few talked/tried them a few years ago. How did it go? Where do you get the little wooden things from? Nice thing to do with some hives near home. People love the section comb honey= nice gift.

I understand you need a strong hive and keep an eye honey flow. And special dividers (tin or similar).

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all

Like to try a few boxes of wooden sections. Have searched forum and a few talked/tried them a few years ago. How did it go? Where do you get the little wooden things from? Nice thing to do with some hives near home. People love the section comb honey= nice gift.

I understand you need a strong hive and keep an eye honey flow. And special dividers (tin or similar).

Wooden sections are almost non existent in NZ

Section Racks

Have a look at this British site.

If you cant source the wooden sections , another option is to do cut comb . I use FD wooden frames with comb honey foundation . When they are capped I put them best side up in a tray , cut the wires with side cutters , heat them and pull out through the side of the frame . Then its just a case of cutting to size and put them in a square plastic container . Get up to 8 per frame , or just cut and strain any reject ones .

To avoid tutin issues just make sure frames are out before end of dec . I find that getting caught doing the above operations on the kitchen table is more dangerous to my health than the risk of tut poisoning !

• Like 2

Thanks everyone, I know about tutin. My home hives are very urban so not likely to be a problem. Haven't seen a tutin bush around here.

I really like the look of wooden sections. I have done cut comb before, and it's just not the same - all that plastic and it's messy.