CCD reaches South Island ?

I discovered today the bees I thought were still in bed are dead ! Bother. It had been a strong MAQS - ed low/no mite count hapu that looked quite good in June. They seemed to have hollowed out their store supply & dwindled & carked before reaching the edges where there is plenty. It prompted me to have a quick look in the top of my hypermite hive which now has a top feeder just in case.

• Like 1
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I discovered today the bees I thought were still in bed are dead ! Bother. It had been a strong MAQS - ed low/no mite count hapu that looked quite good in June. They seemed to have hollowed out their store supply & dwindled & carked before reaching the edges where there is plenty. It prompted me to have a quick look in the top of my hypermite hive which now has a top feeder just in case.

interesting I seem to have had about 4 hives done that this year, bees dead but lots of food only a short walk from the dead

Yesbut I know you think your being funny but have you ever thought about the damage you could do to the package bee industry all we need is one Canadian official to see comments like this and it could throw a spanner in the works to export our bees into canada

Yesbut I know you think your being funny but have you ever thought about the damage you could do to the package bee industry all we need is one Canadian official to see comments like this and it could throw a spanner in the works to export our bees into canada

I think this is an over reaction. @yesbut is talking about 1 hive that has died out, probably thru starvation. The CCCD effect is well published and involves 1000's of hives. Some times we take things a little too seriously.

I thought yesbut's post was quite good.

• Like 1
Well my colony HAS collapsed. And if all had been orderly it wouldn't have. So it must have been disorder. I hope it doesn't spread.

clear case of ccd. couldn't be anything else.

and i should know, cos i do a lot of afar diagnoses based on little or no info

all bees should be evacuated or quarantined or eradicated.

or best all of the above.

• Like 3