New season starting life returns

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Opened a few hives today.

Feed, 3 rest were okay.

2 strong hives had modest patches of capped drone brood along side the 5 or 6 frames of worker brood.

Looks like it could be game on real soon (swarming season)

• Like 4
nd keeping a very close eye out for AFB given its within 5km of me.

If you are meaning that you apairy is showing Red on Apiweb, then that means that AFB was found within 3 km of you site within the last 2 years. Not really very reliable information.

However, as beekeepers we should all be keeping a very close eye out for AFB. and other diseases.

• Like 1

Thanks Trevor but not i wasnt referring to the map at all, but rather notice from AsureQuality of a recently confirmed hive...and yes the grapevine confirmed it before the letter arrived so a good reliable heads up i think.

• Like 2
Waitakere - and keeping a very close eye out for AFB given its within 5km of me.

With all the challenges our bees have to face from all angles..(nature AND humans) .its a wondrous thing they ever survive.

Hi Kristy, I'm in Waitakere as well, and a newby beekeeper. Great to hear your story and please keep sharing. Are you a member of the Auckland Beekeeping Club by any chance?

The day Tudor wrote this my bees were all flying. But the poor things have been inside for days now out of the frost, snow and sleet, and it's too cold to open the hives to see what's going on :(

Hi @Janice

Yesterday it was very cold and frosty and sunny, and bees were flying madly bringing in pollen and (presumably) nectar. It was wearing beanie time, and not sleeves rolled up time. Maybe our bees are just tough, and also we have lots of micro-climates, and have sited most the apiaries to be sheltered and sunny.

But too soon to say how they have come through ... and I am not opening hives at all yet, let them decide until it warms up.

And the Club hives are still in the frost and shade at 10:30 am ... all bees inside.

• Like 1