UMF is an acronym for unique manuka factor. As explained here

The history of UMF

My understanding is it mirrored what was the NPA rating of the honey.

This explains how to covert from UMF to mgo

Grading System

Please correct me if I'm wrong

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Frazz, re. your "65% manuka pollen", if you're claiming it is manuka pollen, you have to be able to prove it is Manuka pollen, not Kanuka pollen [/uSER]

yes i can understand that

Secondly, is there a proven relationship between the amount of Manuka pollen and Manuka nectar?

Is theres proven relationship between NPA and the amount of Manuka nectar?

After all, bees don't necessarily collect honey and pollen in the same proportions from the same flower types. .

There are plants that are under represented in pollens for the amount of nectar in a honey, I think Thyme is one, and others that are over represented, when doing a pollen analysis this is taken into account.

I guess what im asking is,

if im labelling a honey, any honey, can i have a trademark and put a number next to it that denotes something about that honey whether it be pollen percentage, conductivity colour whatever.

Eg Im selling clover honey as ACF c400+ ( which Stands for awesome clover factor And is trademarked) and the c400+ is conductivity minimum of 400

In summary it says:

1. The UMF grading system is in line with the interim guidelines
  2. There is no intention to phase out the UMF grading system
  3. There is no need to change the use of the UMF mark or numbers

I don't see it as propaganda at all ! I read into it something totally different

* If you check out the UMF web page... you'll note there are only ' 67 ' holders of UMF licence

* there is one licence that sticks out like dogs n....

* here is the MPI allowing the use of a trade mark with a number and + sign to denote what the honey is, when the MPI has gone to great lengths to eradicate mickey mouse and inaccurate labelling, which in MY opinion is

* is anyone able to join the dots ?

I guess what im asking is,

if im labelling a honey, any honey, can i have a trademark and put a number next to it that denotes something about that honey whether it be pollen percentage, conductivity colour whatever.

Eg Im selling clover honey as ACF c400+ ( which Stands for awesome clover factor And is trademarked) and the c400+ is conductivity minimum of 400

The simple answer is, yes you can. The long winded answer says your labeling can't mislead the consumer into thinking your product is that of another patent holder. So your ACF c400+ is probably okay but your TFM 5+ in a circle is probably not.

"What would you recommend beekeepers do? .... PANIC

What would you like to see happen? .. lots but it maybe too late, as I have a feeling the die is cast "

I thought so, not the vaguest hint of anything constructive.

• Like 1