• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a difference. We promoted Kiwifruit and established it as an expensive luxury item.

Would have been different if China had done all that, then we jump on the bandwagon after.

I agree with you @Alastair but these friends disagreed that kiwifruit had ever been anything but kiwifruit grown in New Zealand. Chinese gooseberry was unknown to them but definitely not anything like a kiwifruit.

• Like 1
There's a difference. We promoted Kiwifruit and established it as an expensive luxury item.

Would have been different if China had done all that, then we jump on the bandwagon after.

You are spot on Alastair, if we Aussies had marketed "active honey" under an Aussie name I would not have an issue with it, but to take another countries hard earned brand name, (and a very successful one at that) in my mind it is like stealing, it leaves me gob smacked.

• Like 2
You are spot on Alastair, if we Aussies had marketed "active honey" under an Aussie name I would not have an issue with it, but to take another countries hard earned brand name, (and a very successful one at that) in my mind it is like stealing, it leaves me gob smacked.

We have got used to guys doing that.

This thread has gone off topic but seeing it wasn't me that did it, take this Frazz !!

Manuka Honey - Tasmanian Manuka Honey &

I can't actually see anything wrong with it. Maybe you'll have to sneak over there with a plane-load of Round Up

If nothing else their conversion table is incorrect and overstates the MGO figures (e.g. UMF 5+ = MGO 83 not 30 - big difference!):

The following is a conversion table that will help you know what you are buying. This table has been prepared by Active Health New Zealand and reflects Professor Peter Molan’s findings, showing how the two measures can be compared:

MGO – UMF® Conversion Table

Active 5+ = MGO 30

UMF® 10 = MGO 100

UMF® 16 = MGO 250

UMF® 20 = MGO 400

UMF® 25 = MGO 550

before people get too carried away with burning bridges and wrecking international relations we should turn our attention to the dairy industry.

this was known as white gold only a year ago

Manuka honey may not be immune to the same fate

we may need these friends again

• Like 3
The "commotion" at this point, is essentially around NZ's trading arrangements with Australia. Our govt wanted them to buy our apples. Which the Aussie apple growers did not want because we had apple pests they did not. So our negotiators say, "tell you what. You take our apples, and we'll buy your honey".

So their apple growers and our beekeepers were opposed to the deal, but it got shoved through anyway. We sent them our apples (which they don't actually need), and their growers worst nightmares came true, now they have our pests. At our end, we have been able to delay the importation of Aussie honey, but the pressure is still on (even though we don't need their honey either, we are a honey exporting country).

All this makes great sense to politicians though, who are interested in trade, a quick buck, and politics. Environment? Pifft.

Now though NZ beekeepers become an even smaller bit player in attempts to create a much greater global free trade agreement/s.

We are trying to a deal with America with getting them to buy our Sugar and in return we'll buy their meat, we are a huge cattle exporting country and sometime you wonder on the higher powers and go what the heck are they really on the right planet..

• Like 2

It's nothing new. For the last few thousand years humans have transported species and diseases around the planet, and over the last few centuries with improving technology we have become better and better at it.

Long time ago need to protect the environment was not understood. Now many of us do understand it, but it still takes second place to trade. We have not changed much.

• Like 1
Looking at their product label is it ok for nz manuka labels to have a number and a plus sign as it relates to a measurement of something in the honey eg 30+ MG or 65+ pollen percentage?

Looks to me, under the new labelling law for manuka, you can't use the UMF label any longer. you must specify the amount of MGO

Alastair is right, the biggest push for importing honey is coming from out side boarders

Do as the French do, when they don't want an import to happen and put their farmers at risk, they start a riot at the port and burn or smash up the imported produce ... yep ! and the Aussies did that to our first shipment of apples about 7 yeas ago ... good on em

The NBA has put money into lawyers to try to mount a good case to the govt against honey importation, and a commercial beekeeper has put a huge sum of money in out of his own pocket. more nba secretes... who ?

However a lot of beekeepers are not members of any organisation so the NBA ....ask yourself why is seen by the govt as representing only a minority of beekeepers eh ? that's not what dennis tells us ...and as such are not taken as seriously as they should be. And in fact the govt is correct. The beekeeping industry is currently plagued by infighting ..and I can tell you why ! and easy for the govt to play off according to their own agenda,.. which is ? and who's behind it ...which is not necessarily the same as ours.

There is a move to unify our representatives, unfortunately this is opposed by some beekeepers on the grounds of cost. ... yep ! sure is ... if from the outset you had a proper plan,cost schedule and weren't so devious in your approach to the beekeeping community, you'd be home and hosed, actually, probably not, I'm pretty sure mpi have already done a deal

But my opinion all beekeepers who want to protect our NZ industry should strive to achieve a united voice, .. and not be so vociferous on the opinions and infighting, there are greater issues. ... but it won't happen till you wake up to the fact that govt want's to hand out it's responsibility through MPI to just one entity, & that entity will make mega bucks in being able to control all honey export sales

through ' THEIR ' door ... wake up you stupid NBA you'll get wasted at the finish line, buy big business with big money, and just be a puppet

The NBA as it is at the moment, already knows what to do and is making the right moves, but is hamstrung by lack of majority support.... you and FF are steadily been out maneuvered,

• Like 1

Robbie is your incessant use of the word "you", along with "stupid", and the whole tone of your post, aimed at me and "FF" personally, or what?

Just so you know, any posts I have made so far have not attacked anyone and I have no interest in that. They are just a presentation of the current situation and issues as I see them, mostly written for the information of those who do not yet know.

I have no intentions of entering a slanging match with anyone there is already too much of that and it's a problem. Being provocative won't work.

• Like 2

sorry to interupt - but.....

@robbie frew its no secret who the private beekeeper is thats spent tens of thousands of dollars to help keep imported honey out of NZ its the Berrys of Arataki honey.

I guess they dont seek publicity.

may not want publicity - but he gets a big clap and thank you from me

I am sure a certain Aussie Corporate honey packer would like to dump some cheap Aussie honey onto to your domestic market in a first move towards gaining control of the NZ industry. You guys had better get your act together this is trade war.

I'm not sure about cheap as Honey prices are the highest they have ever been in Oz.

@robbie frew its no secret who the private beekeeper is thats spent tens of thousands of dollars to help keep imported honey out of NZ its the Berrys of Arataki honey.

I guess they dont seek publicity.

If it wasnt fir them we would already be dealing with imported honey and all the risks to our bees that that entails

yes, Russell Berry specifically. and Frazz is right - without his dogged pursuit on this issue and willingness to dig very deep in his own pockets to pay for the best legal representation, we'd all be screwed.

• Like 1

Guys, it's not particularly the main point of the thread but was mentioned along the way, so I'll respond to it here:

under the new labelling law for manuka, you can't use the UMF label any longer. you must specify the amount of MGO

Robbie is not the only one to have heard this statement, I've met retailers and others who heard the same message, and I've seen and heard of many different distributors of one company, who has their own rating system. They all just happened to have the same press release shortly after the MPI Interim Labelling Laws was released, predicting the demise of the UMF rating system and saying the Govt would only use the MGO system.

It's true the MPI document didn't mention UMF or UMFHA, so its foes took the opportunity to propogate their interpretation of the ommission. Consequently the MPI wrote this open letter, which has been shared around, and is the definitive word on the subject:

| MPI Statement

In summary it says:

1. The UMF grading system is in line with the interim guidelines
  2. There is no intention to phase out the UMF grading system
  3. There is no need to change the use of the UMF mark or numbers

So, the rumour/propoganda is not true.

So the labels can have letters and a number as long as the number refers to something in the honey?

Is unique manuka factor actually something in the honey or is it a trademark or ...?

I dont really understand how you can give something as ambiguous as unique manuka factor a number?

Does that mean you could have PP65 on your label to identify the honey has 65% manuka pollen. C800 for a conductivity of 800 ?

I thought the powers that be wanted to get rid of numbers because its the numbers that have been linked to activity?

Am i the only one who is confused?

@frazzledfozzle et. al, UMF used to equal to NPA, and is a trademark. Use of the trademark was extended to those who supported and abided by the goals and rules of UMFHA e.g. whatever UMF number you put on your products must be laboratory verified and contain at least that much through to the end of your stated best before period. Pretty simple stuff, what you write must be correct and not misleading. Unfortunately not everyone wanted to play by the rules and some consequently were removed...

UMFHA is an not-for-profit organisation (just written for those who may think otherwise), so it's revenue streams are not to line shareholders wallets, but rather to be spent on research, protecting and defending the trademarks, education and awareness etc.

Getting back to @frazzledfozzle 's question. You can numerically quantify components within the honey i.e. use a number, as long as it is correct, verified, able to be validated by subsequent testing for however many years you state the product can be used for.

Since NPA is an antibacterial claim, and can't be used in conjunction with food products, UMF levels are now based on several chemicals fairly unique to Manuka including DHA, MGO and Leptosin. They will add other chemical markers once their research is complete and published, to be able to even more conclusively define what is and isn't Manuka, and the various purity/quality grades of Manuka.

Frazz, re. your "65% manuka pollen", if you're claiming it is manuka pollen, you have to be able to prove it is Manuka pollen, not Kanuka pollen. Secondly, is there a proven relationship between the amount of Manuka pollen and Manuka nectar? After all, bees don't necessarily collect honey and pollen in the same proportions from the same flower types. [Now there's a couple of points to get you going! :D:rofl:;)] May be deserving of it's own post though.