Who exactly is causing this commotion about importing honey ? Is it foodstuffs,progressive enterprises etc, is it latte swilling individuals feeding the gas tanks of Porsch Cayennes, is it that govt that no-one I am personally acquainted with voted for ?? I realise that I would probably know all this if I'd paid my $150 to the NBA.......

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who exactly is causing this commotion about importing honey ? Is it foodstuffs,progressive enterprises etc, is it latte swilling individuals feeding the gas tanks of Porsch Cayennes, is it that govt that no-one I am personally acquainted with voted for ?? I realise that I would probably know all this if I'd paid my $150 to the NBA.......

Only honey from the following countries can be imported into New Zealand:

• Niue
  • Pitcairn Island
  • Samoa
  • Tonga
  • Tuvalu
  • Solomon Islands.

This includes commercial consignments of honey and personal consignments of liquid honey.

Steps to importing | MPI - Ministry for Primary Industries. A New Zealand Government Department.

The "commotion" at this point, is essentially around NZ's trading arrangements with Australia. Our govt wanted them to buy our apples. Which the Aussie apple growers did not want because we had apple pests they did not. So our negotiators say, "tell you what. You take our apples, and we'll buy your honey".

So their apple growers and our beekeepers were opposed to the deal, but it got shoved through anyway. We sent them our apples (which they don't actually need), and their growers worst nightmares came true, now they have our pests. At our end, we have been able to delay the importation of Aussie honey, but the pressure is still on (even though we don't need their honey either, we are a honey exporting country).

All this makes great sense to politicians though, who are interested in trade, a quick buck, and politics. Environment? Pifft.

Now though NZ beekeepers become an even smaller bit player in attempts to create a much greater global free trade agreement/s.

I'll add to that. Right now, NZ is about the best country in the world to be a beekeeper in. Because our honey is held in such high regard overseas that it commands a very high price. Not just manuka, all our honey. So the price of honey in our supermarkets has also gone up hugely as it is related to what can be got if sold overseas.

If we suddenly get a flood of cheap Aussie honey, a lot of beekeepers are going to feel the pinch. Lifestyles will change and their could be bankruptcies.

All that is apart from the disease risk of the imported honey which when it arrives will be an added cost to our beekeepers.

Why any beekeeper would not care, or not help with the effort to stop this, is beyond me.

The NBA has put money into lawyers to try to mount a good case to the govt against honey importation, and a commercial beekeeper has put a huge sum of money in out of his own pocket.

However a lot of beekeepers are not members of any organisation so the NBA is seen by the govt as representing only a minority of beekeepers and as such are not taken as seriously as they should be. And in fact the govt is correct. The beekeeping industry is currently plagued by infighting and easy for the govt to play off according to their own agenda, which is not necessarily the same as ours.

There is a move to unify our representatives, unfortunately this is opposed by some beekeepers on the grounds of cost.

But my opinion all beekeepers who want to protect our NZ industry should strive to achieve a united voice, and not be so vociferous on the opinions and infighting, there are greater issues.

The NBA as it is at the moment, already knows what to do and is making the right moves, but is hamstrung by lack of majority support.

Alastair is right, the biggest push for importing honey is coming from out side our boarders, and they cry foul under our free trade agreements that it is unfair to stop that. We cannot mount an argument based on dollar value as it is not taken into account (as much as that may have an impact on beekps) it has to be around science, which so far has kept honey imports out. That is one of the reasons we all need to band together and fight these things. The other side of the coin unfortunately is that we want/need to export how products to these same countries, so it is a delicate meeting of the minds that is needed. Yesbut being part of an organisation is one way of helping.

how do i delete what i have written, or change it when i have done it on my phone and got spelling mistakes.

can i edit my posts once they are up there

You have 5 min to correct your mistakes . Note the line of options under each post. If you want a post deleted then you can click the report button and ask for it to be deleted.

That had never occurred to me; thanks.

Thank our esteemed PM. He drew my attention to it last week when he said it was Labour's fault we can't legislate to control foreign house buyers. Apparently it was Labour's fault because they negotiated the most favoured nation deal with China, then National agreed that Koreans could buy real estate here which means Chinese can as well.

• Like 1
You have 5 min to correct your mistakes . Note the line of options under each post. If you want a post deleted then you can click the report button and ask for it to be deleted.

thanks for that ,i will now edit and delete this post hopefully

• Like 1

Can you imagine, importing Aus (Jellybush?) honey, mixing it with and/or just labelling it as Manuka. We could extend the volume of Manuka even further! and reduce the cost of inputs...[said with tongue in cheek]

We would have even more need for chemical profiling to identify what is leptospermum scoparium and what isn't.

I have a couple of questions on the selling of aussie leptospermum as Manuka.

Firstly can you stop them using the word Manuka on their label?

Is Australia governed by NZ labelling laws?

@Rob&\#039;s BP you have to wonder why Comvita are spending time and money on Aussie "active" honey.

@Rob's BP you have to wonder why Comvita are spending time and money on Aussie "active" honey.

I'd suggest it's not for culinary/edible honey since it tastes so bad. Must be for woundcare. Possibly also for the research knowledge, to be at the forefront and not let anyone get a jump ahead of them...

This thread has gone off topic but seeing it wasn't me that did it, take this Frazz !!

Manuka Honey - Tasmanian Manuka Honey &

I can't actually see anything wrong with it. Maybe you'll have to sneak over there with a plane-load of Round Up

Below is a section from there website, at least they said thanks.

Most folks familiar with Manuka honey think it comes only from New Zealand. This is completely inaccurate.

This impression is due mainly to the very strong marketing effort by the honey folks in New Zealand. They have done a great job in educating consumers about Manuka honey and its health benefits and we respect their effort and we send them our thanks.

It's time for New Zealand to apply real political pressure on Australia to have them remove the use of the name "Manuka" from Australia honey's.

Place a high profile import ban on an Aussie product, cut off diplomatic relations or ban Australian tourists. The word Manuka belongs to your indigenous peoples and is part of your language and culture, fight for it you Kiwis it's your birthright.

• Like 2
If you Kiwis let us Australians get away with calling our honey "Manuka", well then next we will call our football team the All Blacks and see if that gets a reaction.

You would probably still not get a reaction @Dennis C Earnshaw. We would be rolling on the ground laughing so much, you Aussies have no idea how to play rugby. We loaned you Robbie Deans long enough to completely destroy the Aussie rugby talent pool.

• Like 1