dansar

Is the face of Beekeeping changing?

Gerards my wife's uncle we come down your way occasionally, I reckon The able tasman and Kahurangi are up there with coolest places in the NZ easy. Is that a Southern Rata in your Avataar pic?

yes.

the rata flowered very well this year,

kayaked up the Wairoa on a big tide .

the hills were all red, the northern and southern ratas both in big flower

i followed some bees flying up a tributary and came to what i presumed was a big swarm or wild hive

i could never see, i just heard them

• Like 1

It's quite fun whizzing back down on the retreating tide !

• Like 1

It's quite fun whizzing back down on the retreating tide !

yes it is.

the wairoa is really blocked with logs now.

I was telling a nice young man I met there. That it was about time some of us did another mission up there with the chainsaws to clear it as we do.

and he introduced himself as the new DOC manager.

needless to say it is still blocked

the muddy os better , it is clear all the way up.

Bloody better not be.How will ww,control A.Q. who carryout the biosecurity controls hen we get another incursion.We will have to train up the Tb inspectors again at a lower rate than they are getting.Having to go through the compensation againwould be a night mare.What price do I put on small cell size bes with varroa tolerant bees.Who knows.

• Like 1

If we sign up to the GIA we will be footing the bill for any incursion.

One of the pluses of combining the NBA and the BIG is to have a mandate to go to government and reinstate compulsary levies, so I guess belonging to an organisation may not be compulsary but paying money, probably quite a bit of money, will be.

And who will decide what we do.Not MPI I hope.

I think my bees might vanish from LCD . . . Levy Compulsion Disorder,

I think joining is going to become compulsary.

BORA 17 : Everyone has the right to freedom of association. (Likewise of non-association; definitely not compulsion of association).

It's a given that either money, time, effort, or all 3 will mean some or a lot of the smaller beeks aren't going to vote; lobby; or even join. When it comes to a major biosecurity event, or preventing one, it's vital that these people feel that they have been treated as equals, and that communication has been reasonable. After all, it is their future that the industry is messing with. With the internet there is no excuse for not including "freeloaders".

I think my bees might vanish from LCD . . . Levy Compulsion Disorder,

Under the apiary interim working group proposal: "Hobbyists (<50 hives) and the service sector will not be levied but voluntary contributions to the levy fund will be recorded." If i was a "hobbyist" I would probably rather pay the levy than the subscription; plus , considering the large size of the "hobby" sector, I'd rather have the right to vote on the future shape of beekeeping.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Mirrors on the hive mats" attrib Nosmo King

As i said in a later post joining may not be compulsary but levies will be.

As i said in a later post joining may not be compulsary but levies will be.

Ahaaa, so those bk will be the "silent pLayers"

If the hobby category will go up to 50 hives then that will be better than 10 hives.

To my mind 50 hives is more than a hobby.

At 50 hives you are starting to edge into semi commercial.

To my mind 50 hives is more than a hobby.

At 50 hives you are starting to edge into semi commercial.

I agree Fraz. I think the hobby label is unhelpful and misleading. Over 50 hives a beekeeper is considered to be making enough income to begin contributions. Below 50 hives there is an exemption. So it's nothing to do with being a hobbyist, just that hobbyists generally have fewer than 50 hives.

Im not sure how they will count hives.

If someone has 50 hives it would seem reasonable that they may have 20 nucs on top of that which may be for the market.

Its the same as dry stock farming.

You may winter 500 ewes then get 750 lambs and also bring in extra stock to eat the extra feed if its there.

how many sheep does this farmer actually have?

You may winter 500 ewes then get 750 lambs.

how many sheep does this farmer actually have?

1250. Then if you bring in extra sheep, just count those and add them to the 1250.

Do the math bro.

1250. Then if you bring in extra sheep, just count those and add them to the 1250.

Do the math bro.

Think you miss the point Api maniac

The point is one of cost.

Do you pay a full sub for a possibly temporary item.

Think you miss the point Api maniac

The point is one of cost.

Do you pay a full sub for a possibly temporary item.

Put one nuc in a paddock, then try and tell Asure Quality that you are not paying the apiary fee because at some point you going to sell it.

I would imagine it would be like any other form of livestock, or business that does a stock date day.

say the count day was the first of June - if it was sold on the 31st may so be it - gone

if its there on count day whatever that day maybe - it counts !! you have it,you own it or its under your control - you pay for it

Imagine being a queen breeder with 1000 mating nucs.

Or one guy may have 1000 nucs in single nuc boxes while another may have their 1000 nucs in 500 partitioned boxes.

Same goes for queen breeders.

Frazz may have 4 M nucs in one box, somonee else may have the same number in individual boxes.

Care should be taken at policy making level that the cost structure does not push methodology in a direction opposed to best practice

• Like 1

There is always going to be "the smart one" who finds the loop hole, but for us hobbyists, we are still left with the short straw. If you have 49 boxes (FD, nuts, mini nuts, whatever) by 31 May, that's what you have. If you have 1000 of whatever, clearly you are not a hobbyist? The question here is why hobbyists have to fork out as much as commercials with thousands of colonies/boxes/apiaries? The important thing here is to be represented, and make our concerns/ideas heard.

when levys come in you could ask why a commercial beekeeper on bush honey should pay as much per kilo as a beekeeper on NPA honey.

2cents a kilo on $7 honey is a far bigger percentage than 2cents on $25 kg.

• Like 1

when levys come in you could ask why a commercial beekeeper on bush honey should pay as much per kilo as a beekeeper on NPA honey.

2cents a kilo on $7 honey is a far bigger percentage than 2cents on $25 kg.

Some areas near here have hives every 200m and yields around 15kg, x $25 = $325 minus traveling costs for between 60 to 900km ( then you've got the beeks traveling the opposite direction! Not to forget the stolen hives; the poisoned; the burnt outs; and then there's the die outs because just like a rodent that forgets where his nuts are, the industrial beek sometimes forgets where his hives are ). If you get 60kg of bush honey (preferably close to home ), that more than makes up for the levy distortion, plus it's away from the manuka wars.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

"Mirrors on the hive mats" attrib Nosmo King

• Like 2