dansar

Is the face of Beekeeping changing?

Farming has seen a change over the decades where it has become increasingly rare to find an "old school farmer", you know the ones, they rely on wit and experience gained by working the land over the years and folklore passed down from Great Granddad Bill to see them through. Now days it is more common to find the farmer with several letters after their name indicating some form of higher learning and land, crop and animal management is based on algorithms and satellite data,100 cows is now 1000 (minimum) and on it goes.

Is beekeeping seeing the change experienced by the Dairying and Pastoral sector. Are there more business type individuals running/owning apiaries now more than ever before, is their business nous giving them an edge when it comes to marketing and selling their produce, are they running their businesses more cost effectively?

This will get the old timers really chewing on their cud, chomping in the bit.......

What are your thoughts?

• Like 4

yes I think you are right about farming in general becoming more business like.

but you are still dealing with living things and the higher power/natural world will always have the final say.

so there is only so far you can take the corporate model

The face of beekeeping has definitely changed i ain't claiming to be experianced or a newbie,theres a big number of corporate companies out there now all putting big money into different ventures propolis,marketing,planting,wound care to name a few, i really think the old established beekeepers are worried specially about there turf and loseing employees,sad to say it but until theres a law change its any mans game

• Like 1

Oh Frazz, I think you've already started elsewhere

I do have a chuckle about some of the corporate jargon and spin used in some employment adverts for a beekeeper. Maybe they get an employment professional who gets paid by the buzzword to write the ad.

• Like 1

Now where do I start......:P

Try starting with "before manuka"..........

• Like 1

I am a marginally eccentric, relatively elderly male who likes to be alone and left alone. Does that herald a change in the historically typical beekeeper?

• Like 2

I am a marginally eccentric, relatively elderly male who likes to be alone and left alone. Does that herald a change in the historically typical beekeeper?

I have always been led.to believe that bee keepers were socially dysfunctional misanthropic loners.who needed at least 10 acres of personal space so you sound pretty typical to me

yes/no on this.

i don't think its changed as much as people think it has. there was and still is big crowds doing big productions.

whats changed a lot is the small guys. its very difficult to run as a one man band.

probably the biggest change is the semi-commercial. currently its the fastest growing sector. high honey prices has enabled people to do it on a part time basis.

if anything its opposite of dairy. dairy has more cows per person. beekeepers now run less hives per person.

• Like 1

Now where do I start......:P

You can go right away ACTIVE. :rofl:

It certainly will if these pratt's pushing for the industry unification seize control

It certainly will if these pratt's pushing for the industry unification seize control

how is a bad thing. I do not really understand the issues.

I a hobbyist new to bee keeping

What would your alternative be, stay with the pratt's OR?

Must you shout ?

We're just baby beeks in terms of years, and we have old fashioned ideas! So the old school ideas work for us. I think the face of beekeeping will and has changed, but only if we buy into the change. Yes, there may be 'others' out there whose standards have been compromised by commercial interests. Just cos someone else, or everyone else, is doing it doesn't make it right...

• Like 4

They may need a new hand shake if it changes to much, the bee keeping secret society :):)

yes/no on this.

i don't think its changed as much as people think it has. there was and still is big crowds doing big productions.

whats changed a lot is the small guys. its very difficult to run as a one man band.

probably the biggest change is the semi-commercial. currently its the fastest growing sector. high honey prices has enabled people to do it on a part time basis.

if anything its opposite of dairy. dairy has more cows per person. beekeepers now run less hives per person.

The future of commercial beekeeping IMO includes extensive use of cranes.

There is no way the industry can move forward relying on a mans back.

Im looking forward to showing mine off.

If it weren't for my crane been under construction Id run a mile from beekeeping.

Must you shout ?

Sorry thought that was your post pinky,

Seems Robbie Frew made the comment

Whats you position pink cat.

Are these people no good??

The future of commercial beekeeping IMO includes extensive use of cranes.

There is no way the industry can move forward relying on a mans back.

Im looking forward to showing mine off.

If it weren't for my crane been under construction Id run a mile from beekeeping.

if you can do it great.

not everyone is in a position to be able to afford or use one.

look forward to the pics :)

Not all site access is suitable for a crane or any kind of lifting gear.

now to throw the cat amongst the pigeons............

You could always use the revolutionary beekeeping guys harvester - and lift, or at least carry very little..

whew thats a big wooden spoon.

now to throw the cat amongst the pigeons............

You could always use the revolutionary beekeeping guys harvester - and lift, or at least carry very little..

whew thats a big wooden spoon.

That harvester in principle is a good idea.

It prevents afb spore buildup in the wax as well.

It simplifies the whole process.

You still need to lift the hives for other reasons though so no matter what there will always be heavy lifting.

But I agree the harvester would lighten the overall work load