With spring coming up soon I am going to make a few bait boxes and spread them around the farm.

If i catch a swarm in one of the boxes and then move it to its new home what will stop the foraging bees from going back to where the bait box was?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If i catch a swarm in one of the boxes and then move it to its new home what will stop the foraging bees from going back to where the bait box was?

Two parts to your question: the initial move should be done at night after all the flying bees are home. The second part depends on how far you've moved them: more than 2kms no problem, less than 2kms and you need to cause them to reorient. I've read a couple methods, the first is simply to put a leafy branch across the entrance. The obstruction causes the bees to rethink their flight path. The second method was to stuff the entrance with grass. The bees chew their way out and then re orient.

Hi, we have some swarm boxes already in position too. Quite good fun. One of them is in the tree where we got a swarm last year.. One of them is near where we drove a car through a swarm of bees last year. We are using a lure recipe of olive oil, beeswax and lemon grass oil that came off the internet. Gently heated and soaked into some kitchen paper towels and cut into squares, one per swarm box. Was very quick to make. If you get a swarm then best to wait until a nice evening with good weather and when all foragers are home. Plug the exits, then re-position it where you want the final hive to be. now unplug the entrance(s) but put a leafy branch over the entrance. This is said to cause the bees to reset their navigation system when they come out next morning and could do no harm. But by all means put another bait box at the same spot you got the swarm and see if you can get some more it will be a good check to see if the branch worked or even to catch another swarm. Next day or when everyone is settled you could try transferring them into their permanent hive this time after lunch on a warm day while all the foragers are out and just leave the swarm box there empty on its side nearby while any stubborn types figure out where the colony is. Put the new hive exit as close as you can to the same place as the swarm box exit.

• Like 1
I may just pop a few boxes where i am going to have my hives anyway.What would be the earliest to put out boxes in the waikato?

I usually put mine out middle of September, and dont expect anything until mid - late October through to January.

• Like 2

agree with Dansar, but I've been putting them together and finding sites for them. I have put up three already and looking for more places that have potential and access. I don't have a whole farm unfortunately. I might stop putting them up in September. "hope springs eternal".

• Like 2
  • 3 months later...
I caught a swarm yesterday and they settled well into the box so I moved it back to our place last night. This morning they are clusteting around the entrance - sort of looks to me like they are going to swarm off again... Any ideas?[ATTACH=full]11056[/ATTACH]

well maybe box might not have enough ventilation and could be too hot. I've not ever used a core flute transport box, have you got a wooden hive you could put them in?

Are the vents in your nuc open?

Yes the vents in the back are open and it was also first thing in the morning. Also a bunch of them stated in a cluster in the cavities around the entrance overnight as well. Not sure if the queen maybe ended up in a cavity at the entrance rather than inside. Have put a frame of honey from other hive in for feed (made sure no other bees on it). Will check again when shoot home for lunch