Manuka flower colour a guide to activity ?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

J. Stephen's seminal thesis 1996 was that different sub-types i.e. genetics were the main determinant of NPA levels.

Do you know if the chemical markers to be used to identify Manuka honey are found in the same quantities in both high MGO Manuka honey and the low MGO Manuka honey?

Do you know if the chemical markers to be used to identify Manuka honey are found in the same quantities in both high MGO Manuka honey and the low MGO Manuka honey?

depends on what you mean a bit. there is a range of markers. some vary depending on aera and sub type etc but there is ones that are stable and present across all manuka.

• 2 weeks later...

There are a range of colours from white through pink to reds. Also different petal shapes and double forms. There are selected garden varieties and Auckland Botanic gardens has bred ornamental types. There is some information here: T.E.R:R.A.I.N - Taranaki Educational Resource: Research, Analysis and Information Network - Trees (New Zealand Native) Leptospermum hybrids & cultivars with photos

As a plant breeder I would say it was very unlikely that the petal colour was linked to NPA activity.

As the Manuka is growing wild and has not been selected or cultivated I expect there is lots of variation for many characters. The closer you look the more variation you will find. The only way to know if NPA activity is linked to a character would be to measure it. In this case measure it in pale leaved plants and in dark leaved plants. Unless you know a good reason why 2 totally different characteristics such as colour and NPA activity should be linked then the likelihood is that they are not.