Dead Bees outside of hive.

Hey Guys I have notice a lot of Dead bees around one of my hives.

They still seem very active during the day there is enough honey for them.

And I'm up to date with my varroa treaments.

There has been a few frosts the last few days could have this affected them?

Any ideas people?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I kid you not, it's an amazing sight! You pick up these 'comatosed' bees thinking they are dead and in a short time they are back to normal. Last year I had a single box which I nursed through the winter, it was not strong. Most afternoons there was between 30 to 50 bees each night that failed to make it back into the hive that I revived in this way. Over a few weeks, this quantity of bees can be a significant loss for a weak hive.

• Like 4

i posted here the other day, we had a frost, very unusual, there were two strong hives got up early and at it. Counted over 100 bees in front of each, crawling or frozen solid. By mid afternoon once sun got on them all but a couple were back home. Gave me quite a surprise what with Nosema stories and all. So even if they look dead the resurrection is real

• Like 3
Just wondering what you call alot? It is common to have some dead bees outside the hive as they don't all make it through the winter. Also sometimes, on a fine day they can be caught out when they are out foraging and the temperature drops resulting in them not quite making it back into the hive, they become weak, cold and die around the entrance. Don't tell anyone but I have been known to gather up all the cold bees about 4 - 5 pm, put them in a container, warm them by the fire where they are quickly revived and flying around the container, then I release them and they return home. :love:

I love your post . . . I'm always trying to save my precious bees and people around me constantly take the mick!!

• Like 1

We to can join the nutty bee saving group as we will take all steps to saving any weak and dieing bees and amazing how they can bounce back. My wife even found a bee under water in an old bush bath we use, sitting right on the bottom. My wife scooped it out, looking stone cold dead. Put it in the sun with a bit of honey in front of it and after an hour it came slowly back to life and eventually flew away.Amazing.

• Like 2
  • 4 months later...

Hi guys. Slightly different. I removed the mite board to do a mite count today and a heap of bees fell out under the hive. A mix of live and dead bees all adults.

Have taken a quick video and can take photos of the dead ones if it helps.

Wondering if the mesh is too big and the bees get in and trapped under it....

I've had a hive that was hemorrhaging bees for weeks.

First the bees would shake on the landing board then die out front.

thousands of them.

They also died in the hive and the bees would clean them out.

I shifted it out by itself and re queened it.

As the new Queen got her brood going, the numbers of fresh deads bees decreased and now the hive has turned the corner.

• Like 1
I've had a hive that was hemorrhaging bees for weeks.

First the bees would shake on the landing board then die out front.

thousands of them.

They also died in the hive and the bees would clean them out.

I shifted it out by itself and re queened it.

As the new Queen got her brood going, the numbers of fresh deads bees decreased and now the hive has turned the corner.

Actually I got some details wrong there.

The hive was a strong spring split but the queen cell failed or she was lost etc.

The other half of the split had the shakes as well but no noticeable dead bees outside.

This other half recovered ok and is building well.

The one that I moved is now ok also.