dansar

Nucleus and Queen prices 2015

Tried to figure it out but lost count at 3...

Seriously though, it's commonly said there's around 10,000 bees to a kilo. But I can't personally vouch for that.

As to package bee sales in NZ, a reason it's never really flown here is a difference we have with the USA which is a big package buyer. In the USA the average beekeeper looses all the bees in 30% of their hives every year, so come spring they have a lot of empty beehives and package bees is the perfect solution. Here, losses are much smaller, so most people buying bees need them in a hive.

Swarming or not ?

It is said that: swarming 300 per ounce, non-swarming 350 per ounce=12320 per Kg.

Give or take ...

So the package bees on sale are a little lite on bees unless they are including the package and food in the weight

A little sugar syrup is worth a lot. ;)

Seriously though, back when I was doing it anyway they got weighed as they were taken from the hive and mostly were pretty empty they had to be given syrup that day to be sure they were OK. Don't know what methods are used now but sellers obviously want their buyers to do well.

We don't use sugar syrup in package bees it gets a little messy :lol

And I think by their add when they say 3000 / 3500 bees I think they are more then a little lite :whistle:

How do you feed them?

Not sure if NZ has the right weather for package bees for the US market, Australia sends a lot of package bees to the US, but our winters are very much warmer than yours. Aussie beehives don't need so many young bees to go into winter as the hives continue to breed over winter although at a slower rate so the hives can replace the younger bees without putting the colony at risk .

• Like 1

Not sure if NZ has the right weather for package bees for the US market, Australia sends a lot of package bees to the US.
Not any more they don't.

New zealand sends tens of thousands maybe even a few hundred thousand package bees to Canada so I can't see why the usa would be different

And Alastair I would tell you but it's a trade secret :censored:

Bren my quote was him saying Australia sends them to the US.

Haha then he would know then ;)

my one was in answer to Dennis

• Like 1

we do ours for 200. but they are ready when they are ready.last spring was terrible for getting nucs powering along so people just had to wait

Hi Brett Am keen on some spring nucs, am in Oropi on life style block looking for 2 -10 thanks

Something else about Aussie, we've always had more sheep than them, but now we also have more beehives. ;)

They've got way more cans of beer

[

And Alastair I would tell you but it's a trade secret :censored:

Candy would work

It's probably a gel.

On Trademe at the moment there is a poly nuc with a cup full of bees and Queen ( the queen is a bit small )

Latest bid $101.

OMG that is a tiny nuc, are they top bar frames? That seems ridiculous i hope no poor learner buys that.

On Trademe at the moment there is a poly nuc with a cup full of bees and Queen ( the queen is a bit small )

Latest bid $101.

What is the link

50 bucks would stop it, however there is brood.

In a nice warm climate under a Spanish Heather bush it may be OK as its got this far.