dansar

Nucleus and Queen prices 2015

She is new here and does not have the required 10 posts to have access to the Trade Bee section. I decided that her post could stay as she is not advertising just saying what she is selling her stuff for. A bit technical but that's what this thread is about.

have you got a back ground in law Trevor :)

And that is about as accurate an estimate of the weather as it possible.

If the leaf is dry - then the day is fine.

If the leaf is wet - then the day is raining.

We used to have a weather rock hanging outside the flight line. Gave us wind direction, wind strength, precipitation, temperature, it was even a clock! Was incredibly reliable too, until the string rotted ... but then we only lost the wind readings.

• Like 1

Not advertising?

Really?

Hmmm....

Could your earlier post not be construed as advertising? Like, "get in quick for next season", kind of advertising.

$220 for four frames + GST + the cost of the hive doctor nuc box.

Queens $50

Cells $6.50

Completely booked out for the coming season.

Who said Manuka madness sucks :x3:

@Trevor Gillbanks and others have similar posts that also went unchallenged. Perhaps the lesson is that this sort of thread belongs in TradeBee. Anyway I think he's done a good job here.

Im inclined to suspect that if someone dumped 400 nucs over a month period on trademe at $250 each buy now, it would cool the market significantly.

what, you mean like this advert and others in SI too?

5-Frame NUCLEUS Hive (frames only) | Trade Me

Hmm, nice promo work on that listing by the seller. I suspect he doesn't have large numbers ie 400ish.....damn near anyone can make nucs but the quality and the queens along with the ability to get large number delivered to set dates is the challenge.

• Like 2

If that was there buy now price it would be OK

I think there package bees are a little lite on bees my understanding is that there is 10000 bees per kilo but I could be wrong

Cheeky them including additional sale options as delivery costs. Avoiding trademe making a cut.

I think the reference to the services advertisement and communication link gets around all trademe fees by allowing them to swap email addresses; if desired. I agree it remains to be seen what the reserve is for the package bees. I thought packages were rare or unheard of in NZ (and actually a bad idea too). The start = reserve on the nuc's will be interesting to watch how it progresses.

. I thought packages were rare or unheard of in NZ (and actually a bad idea too).

Why do you think they a bad idea?

I have often wondered why they not more popular here.

. I thought packages were rare or unheard of in NZ (and actually a bad idea too).

Why do you think they a bad idea?

I have often wondered why they not more popular here.

Wrong end of the season for us and harder to get a colony established before spring and likely feeding through winter . Packages in Canada either from NZ. In USA the lower warmer states where bees breed a lot longer or dont stop at all. A few other sources but those are the general supply.

• Like 1

Wrong end of the season for us and harder to get a colony established before spring and likely feeding through winter . Packages in Canada either from NZ. In USA the lower warmer states where bees breed a lot longer or dont stop at all. A few other sources but those are the general supply.

Sorry I don't understand. I meant internal sale of packages in NZ. Must be easier to make and cheaper to buy than a Nuc with frames, brood, stores.

I've never made one or bought one, just wondering.

Sorry I don't understand. I meant internal sale of packages in NZ. Must be easier to make and cheaper to buy than a Nuc with frames, brood, stores.

I've never made one or bought one, just wondering.

Thats what I meant, when most of us have surplus bees (flow is over ) and bees are just hanging around in late Summer and early Autmn, is when packages would be made up. Not entirely impossible but really difficult for a newbee to get a package established before Winter. @Alastair was toying with the idea.

Thats what I meant, when most of us have surplus bees (flow is over ) and bees are just hanging around in late Summer and early Autmn, is when packages would be made up. Not entirely impossible but really difficult for a newbee to get a package established before Winter. @Alastair was toying with the idea.

OK, thanks, makes sense now.

It may be a bit of fun to try a few this season just to see how they go

Who here has seen any benefit from the trees for bees research?

Anyone had their farm planted out? Anyone see their landowners with new plantings for bees ?

@frazzledfozzle Yes, we have a lovely farmer and Family hard out planting for the bees. Trees are only tiny at the moment, but yes, he's planting, mind you he's not far from Eastwood Hill. We've been potting up natives that pop up in our garden for him as a reciprocal gesture.

• Like 3

re late season packages...why bother when you can easily take a hive/nuc off a decent hive coming off the flow and it's at a time when queens are well mated and available. Most of the cost of the nuc is the bees and queen and your paying for that anyway with a package. Much more winter able with the brood and a bit of feeding.

Packages overseas work because they buy in from warmer climates or areas finishing their season. My experience with Canada suggests that the warm summer, large,dense crops close to the bees and long days for flying help with quick build up in spring.

Trying to get clients to buy queens nucs or hives late in the season is still a bit of a battle which means they have to deal with the high prices and lack of availability of spring production.

• Like 1

Trying to get clients to buy queens nucs or hives late in the season is still a bit of a battle which means they have to deal with the high prices and lack of availability of spring production.

i'm surprised the prices don't reflect this better.

a nuc in sept. should be significantly more expensive than in dec. and twice as much as in autumn.

Availability is the issue....plus winter losses of nucs and hives bought late in the season may occur but you have them earlier than you can get spring nucs or hives so there is a benefit too.

• Like 2

In short market is still a developing one, the shake out will come when product and demand are in balance

• Like 2

Yep though of course it is tied to manuka prices, the perception that there is (easy) money to be made in honey ie new people coming into the market and space in good honey areas.

Of course if hive losses continue to increase through mismanagement, adverse weather or disease/hive health issues the price may remain high/unstable for a while.

Personally I believe more of a focus on quality queens and nucs would be a good thing....In fact a focus on quality hives and queens in general...but then I would say that I'm a queen breeder. :-)

• Like 4

And demand may exceed supply for a while yet.

• Like 1

Could your earlier post not be construed as advertising? Like, "get in quick for next season", kind of advertising.

If it was it shouldn't matter as I have more than the required 10 posts before being allowed to advertise. Whereas the post i was questioning joined and advertised on the same day.

The reason I Said sold out was to stop any private messages wanting queens.

I have never advertised on the forum because we have regular clients who take all we can supply.

• Like 3

In short market is still a developing one, the shake out will come when product and demand are in balance
It was not that long ago there was no business selling bees. A second hand hive was worth less than the cost of equipment to make one, you could not make a hive, put bees in it, and sell for a profit.

All bee breeders sold was queens, that was it. And they were not worth a whole lot it was a tough way to make a living.

I don't think many who have started in the last 15 years realise how hard beekeeping was before the Manuka boom, or that hive numbers in NZ up to that time were slowly dwindling, and it was an old mans game, with them having trouble getting anything realistic for their businesses as they retired.

Recent events do say something for kiwi ingenuity though, the international marketing campaign that has gone with Manuka has been a true triumph, a piece of brilliance. Really there is no way Manuka should be worth what it goes for.

A few months ago I ran right out of honey to give to landowners and some of them were forced to buy at the supermarket. I had several comments that they were stunned how much it costs now. Which I was rather pleased about, having been getting it free some of them started attaching little value to it.

• Like 3