dansar

Nucleus and Queen prices 2015

It must have been your NZ accent, sometimes Aussies are hard of hearing no offense intended.

Yeah..no worries mate(y)

I dunno frazz, did it?

Nope i just got a funny alert.

Thankgoodness otherwise I'd be doing alot of apologising to people.

This reminds me of my kids, nothing better to do than stir. Come on spring

• Like 1

@Trevor Gillbanks ,Thats the very first time Ive used the stirrer button on purpose!

Yes fazz and now you know how it feels, will you be able to resist again....

Desensitizing. It does pay to be a little bit sensitive to some things otherwise no one would give a dam about anything..

Desensitizing. It does pay to be a little bit sensitive to some things otherwise no one would give a dam about anything..

Thats deep for a sunday morning

Thats deep for a sunday morning

Yeah.. don't know where that came from actually, I think I will go and build some nuc boxes.

• Like 1

@dansar Thinking about Dannevirke and the Junction pub, brings back many fond memories.

@dansar Thinking about Dannevirke and the Junction pub, brings back many fond memories.

The Warehouse is on the corner now. Top of the pub is down aerodrome road

Progress I guess? Our real local was the one at Makuri, most probably gone as well

I see someone is selling 10 frame singles on trademe for $500 each put your order in early I reckon the price will go higher

Check there other listing.

Do pre purchase inspections aswell .

This came through my email today from trees for bees wanting funding for another 3 years Im not entirely sure they are on the same planet as me?

The historical industry average for colony loss in New Zealand is estimated to be in the region of 10-20% of hives. In the last two years this has trebled for some apiarists. The current cost of buying new nucleus hives has increased from $200 up to $700. If replacement of lost colonies requires obtaining new hives from an external source, then for someone with 1,000 hives, a 30% colony loss could cost $210k. For a business with 5,000 hives, this becomes $1.05m. Honey bees are critical to New Zealand’s agriculture and horticulture industries through pasture

From $200 to $700 really???

If thats the case We might have to seriously increase our prices!

• Like 1

Nuc and Hive prices have definitely increased.

I do sell a few nucs on trade me every year in spring and early summer(10 - 25 nucs) and I get a very good price for them. If I want to I could make up around 50 to 100 nucs in a season but that would take a lot more time and effort from me and all the nucs may not be at a standard I like them to be when I sell them. Hence I only make up a small number and make sure they are in very good condition when I sell them.

The way I look at it is, market dictates the price for the nucs. If the price for honey stays this high (God knows for how long) and If people are willing to pay nearly 400 for a nuc then why would you want to sell it for any less. If you actually sell it for a good price then you can actually cut down on the number of nucs you make up which in turn cuts down on the time and work involved.

If you sell 200 nucs for 200 each, you end up with 40,000 and if you sell 100 nucs for 400 each, you end up with the same amount 40,000. So why not sell it for 400 when you can?

I know people have different opinions about how they buy and sell things but this is just how I see it.

Just putting my opinion out there. That's all.

• Like 2

at the end of the day the customer sets the price.

to understand how tricky that can be i had one of the panasonic reps (many years ago) telling me that they where selling next to nothing of a certain VCR (told you it was a long time ago), until they dropped the price by $20. then they sold like hot cakes.

I wasnt querying the rights ir wrongs of selling at a certain price, I was queriying the statement that nuc prices had gone up from $200 to $700 .

Its written as if $700 is the standard price for a nuc... Is it?

I dont think so

I wasnt querying the rights ir wrongs of selling at a certain price, I was queriying the statement that nuc prices had gone up from $200 to $700 .

I dont think so

Maybe you and I are on the wrong planet @frazzledfozzle or maybe the writer on the article has a sidline of selling nuks themselves, just a guess.

I think there are a few words missing.

Nuc's from $200 to hives @ $700. Remember some members were making fun of someone on TM for selling 100 single box hives and got $620.00 ea for them. Just goes to show that the prices are pretty high.

at the end of the day the customer sets the price.

And @tristan is 100% correct. The customer sets the price. If they don't want to pay then you will not sell the item.

I dont think so

the figures are embellished somewhat.

the figures are embellished somewhat.

Quite possibly. $200 is fine, $700 is stretching it a bit even if the odd hive is sold for that.

I get all that but this is an application made by trees for bees for funding from both the beekeeping community and the SFF.

If you are asking for money surely the most important thing is have your facts right and have it written down so that it also reads right.

The way it is written is saying the standard price of nucs has gone up from $200 to $700 when clearly that is not true.

This is not about a beekeeper willing to pay whatever to buy nucs, this is about an organisation using an inflated price of nucs to help validate their claim for more funding.

Who here has seen any benefit from the trees for bees research?

Anyone had their farm planted out? Anyone see their landowners with new plantings for bees ?

Its not about who is prepared to pay what.

• Like 1

Quite possibly. $200 is fine, $700 is stretching it a bit even if the odd hive is sold for that.

thats called "marketing" :rofl:

• Like 1

Who here has seen any benefit frim the trees for bees

you won't in the short term.

this sort of thing is such a long term project, which is why it would be difficult to get funding for.

rewards for us are really in the decades down the track.