dansar

Nucleus and Queen prices 2015

Any commercial beekeeper with experience would know a slow start spring and if he/she has done this sort of work for more than 5 years, would by now, know that sometimes the breeder has to play ball with the weather, or would be raising it's own queens, in which case it would also be waiting... All these desperate commercial beeks seem to be "new" to the game.

Exactly Sil29er, there is no point rushing, in fact by rushing against the weather you will end up even further behind because you will end up doing the job twice.

I placed my first cells 14th/10 and have ramped up since then.

They should all have a good chance of mating.

I look at Beekeeping like horse ownership.

If you cant shoe a horse then you arnt a horseman and in the same vein, if you cant breed Queens you arnt a Commercial Beek

• Like 1

If you cant shoe a horse then you arnt a horseman and in the same vein, if you cant breed Queens you arnt a Commercial Beek

That statement doesn't feel quite right; I've raised my two Qs for the season, does that make me a commercial ?

That statement doesn't feel quite right; I've raised my two Qs for the season, does that make me a commercial ?

No, it makes you a competent hobbyist (y)

No, it makes you a competent hobbyist (y)

Are you sure you are aiming that statement at the correct beekeeper.:lol

Did they mate quickly

Nelson had a lot of awful weather this spring

You beat me to it !

Did they mate quickly

Nelson had a lot of awful weather this spring

TBH they're still tucked in their cells !

Evidently, yes. Keeping two queens going for a season is success given what happened in the previous season.

@yesbut I am trying to delay any queen raising till late nov

The migrant beeks will be here with their drones and hopefully the weather will be better.

But because I am in Aus from 8th Nov to 25th I am not sure how it's going to work .

I shall make splits a day before I go and hope for the best.

I shall just have to go through the hives and squish cells till I go

Luckily I have only two hives

I resumed my swarm patrol a week ago. I think I may have found a drone congregation area. A slightly humped rising paddock at the base of a long steep ridge. There's a very strong bee - humming coming from nowhere except generally upward. I haven't been able to see any, I've tried pre-focusing binoculars at various distances and then looking at the blue sky but nothing yet. It's at it's peak midafternoon but by 4pm has gone. Further investigation will have to wait now that Barbary flowering has started, there's assorted humming coming from everywhere .

• Like 3

Just put some caged Queens on TM at $1 reserves ... should be interesting ...

• Like 1

Just put some caged Queens on TM at $1 reserves ... should be interesting ...

Whats the listing number?

Starts about here Caged Queen Bee

Interesting

I was discussing this same concept with my Son today.

Selling cull Queens.

Why not, if they are going well but being replaced as a matter of policy it may be a good way to get affordable queens onto the market.

One year old good Queen, say $75 (y)

• Like 1

I resumed my swarm patrol a week ago. I think I may have found a drone congregation area. A slightly humped rising paddock at the base of a long steep ridge. There's a very strong bee - humming coming from nowhere except generally upward. I haven't been able to see any, I've tried pre-focusing binoculars at various distances and then looking at the blue sky but nothing yet. It's at it's peak midafternoon but by 4pm has gone. Further investigation will have to wait now that Barbary flowering has started, there's assorted humming coming from everywhere .

Apparently they are so revved up if you throw a stone in the air they will chase it if they are drones

Apparently they are so revved up if you throw a stone in the air they will chase it if they are drones

Surely Tinder would be easier?

Interesting to see someone selling nucs and hives with virgin queens.

And a listing for Manuka honey sold as " active" with a total activity of 25

I thought that was against the new labelling rules

I'm watching a bid for a wasp nest .... hoping he can supply 500 to run in nuc boxes as anti theft devices in bee yards!

• Like 2