dansar

Nucleus and Queen prices 2015

As another season is rapidly approaching do any of you have a feel for pricing for nucs and queens (cells and mated).

Primarily wholesale prices as selling to hobbiest beeks distorts the picture somewhat. I am supplying nucs at a price agreed to last season which I am happy with but want to gauge where it might be going forward.

As another season is rapidly approaching do any of you have a feel for pricing for nucs and queens (cells and mated).

Primarily wholesale prices as selling to hobbiest beeks distorts the picture somewhat. I am supplying nucs at a price agreed to last season which I am happy with but want to gauge where it might be going forward.

Hi do you have some Nucs for sale this coming spring?.

admin edit: removed second duplicate quote box

I am planning on NUC sales @ $200.00 per 5 FD frames in Hive Doctor NUC box with new season mated queens. Collected from my yard.

I expect NUC's to be available around early/mid October.

I only sell to hobbyists and club members as I only have very limited supplies.

No I am not taking orders at this time of the year as I do not know what will be available at this stage.

• Like 1

There was a nuc on TM a couple of weeks ago went for over $380.00 with a lot of interest as per last season.

• Like 2

Looking at around $200 per nuc. Maybe GST inclusive for my students, maybe plus GST for anyone else :) Will take the spot market though, so who knows what they'll go for in the end..

• Like 2

You're off to a good start @Scruffy bee the most important thing for a beginner is building a network of contacts to help you along the way. Getting your bees from an established beekeeper with an affection for hobbyists is a particularly good move.

• Like 3

Hi do you have some Nucs for sale this coming spring?.

admin edit: removed second duplicate quote box

Hi @Luc probably not this season sorry all the spring nucs I will have are sold. Gotta leave myself some stock to replenish and build on for the following season. Be patient and you will get some bees, just dont get caught up in an overpriced trademe auction. Join a local club, get a mentor, you may even get a split from them if lucky;)

we do ours for 200. but they are ready when they are ready.last spring was terrible for getting nucs powering along so people just had to wait

$220 for four frames + GST + the cost of the hive doctor nuc box.

Queens $50

Cells $6.50

Completely booked out for the coming season.

Who said Manuka madness sucks :x3:

• Like 2

$200+GST 4 frame hivedoctor nucs, spring queen, but all presold ... nothing till December after that ... not doing orders under 10 nucs ... presold 100 FD single box hives (older gear) for October @$320 to a NI honey producer ... again not doing any more of those till after the flow. Might put a few nucs and hives on trademe for giggles

• Like 5

looks i will be breeding my own queens then.

it is tricky where i live. in spring it is mostly windy.

but often calm in the morning till about 11am. so any queen that decides to go out on a mating flight and does not pick her day right ends up with a one way ticket to the north island.

i have lost a few queens like that

funny thing i have noticed here that drones fly around 1pm and mating flights tend to be 1.30 t0 3pm, everytime

I still have connections with a UK site selling bees, queens and nucs, make ours look cheap.

• Like 1

This hobby is expensive may need a lotto ticket this weekend :D

This hobby is expensive may need a lotto ticket this weekend :D

LOL, you have no idea ;) when starting out the bees are the cheap bit. Better go Powerball as well.

looks i will be breeding my own queens then.

it is tricky where i live. in spring it is mostly windy.

but often calm in the morning till about 11am. so any queen that decides to go out on a mating flight and does not pick her day right ends up with a one way ticket to the north island.

i have lost a few queens like that

Cells are a cheaper alternative at $6 each if you have a breeder within a couple of hours drive.

• Like 1

i can breed queens ok its getting them mated in spring that is the problem.

i think it most likely they do like to fly at 1/ 1.30 pm. chances are the wind is up by then here

i wonder if getting them mated in spring. is a problem for commercial queen breeders .

is most of the commercial queen breeding done in windless warm spring places like the east coast of both islands.

"windless east coast" hehehe .... bitter cold NE & blasting hot dry NW .... perfect Queen raising conditions in Canty

• Like 1

try a southerly straight from the Antarctic.

try a southerly straight from the Antarctic.

Show off!

Since we moved up to the South Waikato from Dannevirke/Levin I have forgotten what wind is. I have a nice new site for another lot of my nucs that is in a small valley with its own microclimate, i am hoping for what Alistair describes with his site. I think I will call it "wooly valley"

• Like 3

I think I will call it "wooly valley"

you'd expect a lot of courtship with a name like that (y)

Since we moved up to the South Waikato from Dannevirke/Levin I have forgotten what wind is.

I have lived in the Waikato. I will keep the wind and you can keep the cold fog.

And judging by the coming snow & cold, we've got another week of perfect weather ! The bay like a millpond......

• Like 1