Lots of Synthetic Acaracides

I happened across this list of synthetic insecticides. There's a lot ! Not being a chemist, it's surprising to me that there's only two amongst them used on varroa. Please note (@tristan) I'm not suggesting or promoting off label use of anything .

CYPERMETHRIN for veterinary use on CATTLE, SHEEP, GOATS, PIG, POULTRY, DOGS and CATS against external parasites: ticks, flies, fleas, lice, mites

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the trick is how to get an insecticide to kill one insect but not the other. a lot of those (that looks to be in the same group as DDT) will kill everything.

you need to have something with a specific mode of action that kills only those insects that have a certain feature. but because its so specific resistance is a lot easier.

edit: classic example is coumaphos which is used for varroa, its an Organophosphate.pollination guys hate orchards using as Organophosphates kill bees very well.

it also only took the usa 4 years to get resistant to it.

• 1 month later...
I happened across this list of synthetic insecticides. There's a lot ! Not being a chemist, it's surprising to me that there's only two amongst them used on varroa. Please note (@tristan) I'm not suggesting or promoting off label use of anything .

CYPERMETHRIN for veterinary use on CATTLE, SHEEP, GOATS, PIG, POULTRY, DOGS and CATS against external parasites: ticks, flies, fleas, lice, mites

three ? here, but there are many more use over seas