Plant identification

i dunno about globe artichoke, might be but i have grown them before and these look a bit different especially the leaves.

just looking at some google pics and I think it could well be the globe artichoke, or a close relation.

I am thinking I should grow some more next year!

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AHAAAAA, it is actually a cardoon plant! very closely related to the globe apparently, but you eat the leaves (cooked) not the fruit. Kinda makes sense cos the fruit didnt do what a regular globe does. And i remember that it WAS one of the names of the herb plants I got, i just had no idea what it was gonna look like, its quite amazing

• Like 2
[ATTACH]3600[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]3601[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]3603[/ATTACH]

Hmmm so what is it? The bees like it, and i am thinking of using it in my plant collection but i have no idea what it is

Is it a Pandorea of some type? Jasminoides? (suggestion courtesy of my wife). :)

not a vine like pandorea, and very small flowers, maybe 5-10mm across, fragrant like Jasmine, not as strong but similar pleasant scent, apparently very strong growing according to the house owner (my childrens carer)

• 2 months later...

oh oh oh... I might just know that one. Dombeya? I know that's probably not the spelling, but Ruud Kleinpaste popped up at the Trees for Bees field walk with a branch for Linda Newstrom-Lloyd - he'd found native bees going nuts over it.

Thanks Dee pretty sure you are right. It's in the back of someone's garden next to my local fruit and vege shop.

It's very impressive, bees love it and great to see something flowering like this @ this time of year. Might investigate in getting one, though they seem to be more tropical!!!

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
Saw this bush/tree near our camping ground out of Whangarei. Any ideas???? Heaps of Bumbles all over it!!

Its a star-flower - I have the scientific name at home somewhere, so I'll add that later.

Its very easy to grow from cuttings and you can also buy it in garden centres and the warehouse.

The lower branches tend to cascade/trail and will easily strike root if in contact with soil.

Wikipedia:

Grewia occidentalis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Grevillea sp possibly Robyn Gordon cultivar .... Or similar........great source of nectar if they can get down to the nectary. Great flower when out camping in Aust. If you've forgotten to bring the sugar for the tea...Shake a flower into your hand and have a lick, pure nectar!

• Like 3
  • 4 months later...