Plant identification

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry Dave but the first photo does not look like Mahoe to me. The second photo looks to belong to caprosma family, Maybe a Karamu, If it is it will develop little orange berries aprox 5 mm in diameter in summer.

The first photo i suspect could be Hangehange. If so it has a very strong smell that can be smelt a number of meters from the plant. The plant is oftern only 2-3m high, It was flowering where i am 3wks ago and probably still is in places.

number two is definitely a caprosma , all caprosma are wind pollinated and are of no interest to bees. The light green one does look like hange hangi . Bees are not normally that interested in this plant but occasionally it does seem to really yield . It is a very strongly scented honey. Whitey wood never seems to be of much interest to the bees. Waxy Bell or Maori jasmine is a native creeper that is just coming into flower at the moment and is worth cultivating as the bees work it from dawn till dusk. I'll try and get a photo.

Thanks all. The bushmansfriend is a good resource. Now the reason I thought is was mahoe (whiteywood) are a) it's a large 10m tree, not a bush. b) the stigmas are large and fill the 'cup' the petals make, c) the leaves look wrong for hangehange, which has shiny paired leaves. I've used the pictures from the Plant Conservation Network, but I sure could be wrong, I'll go and have a closer look now I have the benefit of your advice. I think coprosma must be right, I remember yellow/orange berries last year; there are a lot of coprosmas. Scruffy-looking tree.

• 4 weeks later...
Judy, it looks a lot like the photo of Mahoe - look up the page in Rob's post #6.

That is what I thought but I am pretty sure it doesn't get any blue/purple berries after it has flowered and the tiny flowers are more green then the Mahoe.

• 2 months later...

its in my herb garden and i know i planted it but no idea what it is, bees and bumble bees are into it and almost comatose, i can even pat the bb's

Thats looking like globe artichoke left to flower.

You usually eat the immature flower heads (before they go spikey), but I always let some flower fully too.

• Like 1