Hi All,

My hubby and I have just joined this site and are really enjoying all the info.

We are based in the Bay of Plenty and my hubby is really keen to do a course (introductory or any) plus would love some experience or full time work that may be available for him to start in the bee keeping industry?

He is avaiable from 1st July as changing his trade and is really keen to get started as a bee keeper, any information on courses or jobs available etc. would be great?

He is very fit, out going and friendly, currently has his First Aid certificate, class 1 & 2 license, plus D & G, his background is in water reticulation, water well drilling and horticulture and loves the outdoors!

Cheers

Ange and Dan.

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum guys ! Mid winter is about the quietest time in a beek' life. It's more likely you'll find someone needing a hand closer to spring. But you never know. Have you seen this ?

How do I get started? Advice for beginners.

Discussion in 'Beginner Beekeepers' started by Erin, Jan 15, 2013.

• Like 4

I'm a complete beginner as well but I just attended a small meeting with about 12 people. They were all telling me that the courses are a complete waste of time and money. I'm too new to know any better, but thought I'd pass on what I heard from others.

• Like 2

Such a shame on that feed back.

The Manawatu Bee club run 2 x 2 day courses (Sat/Sun) per year. One in spring and one in late summer. $100.00 I have only ever heard positive feedback on our course. I recommend that every one should do a beginners course.

• Like 1

Similarly here in Hawkes Bay thanks to @deejaycee (mostly) and Arataki Honey. One night a week for six weeks - a mere $5 per night. All the info a beginner needs delivered in a friendly environment followed by a practical field day.

• Like 1

Sorry was not intending to stir trouble, I should have known better haha

• Like 1

Thanks Yesbut, we have found that link good. Definitely keen on any beginners courses here in the Bay, even for the practical would be very useful. Hopefully someone might know of any coming up in the Tauranga region or if any local clubs we could be referred to?

From a newbie. Can't leave it unsaid! The 2 day course at Manawatu was an excellent starter for me. I can only encourage people and recommend it. Good course, great people.

@Qkrwogud, unless you have a very helpful mentor to help you out closely from the start I rkn you should do whatever course(s) you can. A course won't leave you knowing a heck of a lot but it is a lot better than poke and hope!

Thanks Yesbut, we have found that link good. Definitely keen on any beginners courses here in the Bay, even for the practical would be very useful. Hopefully someone might know of any coming up in the Tauranga region or if any local clubs we could be referred to?

If you e-mail the BOP beekeepers, I will add you to our e-mail list. I think there will be a beginners workshop in spring. bopbeekeepers@gmail.com or look us up on Facebook.

Thanks Yesbut, we have found that link good.

$5.00 please

• Like 1

You are so cheap !

:)

• Like 1

Welcome on the forum Ange & Dan.

This is a great community with many experienced bkpers(I learn a lot from them).

You guys are in a hot spot in Bay Of Plenty - full of commercial bkpers. Coromandel has many commercials and from Rotorua to east to the ocean also I heard about many commercials.

I remembered two thinks.

Dan should dig on trademe for bkping jobs in your area and find as many commercials via internet/yellow pages etc to send his CV to them.

The second thing is even better for you guys. We have a thread here on the forum about the upcoming bkping conference in Jun, this month in Taupo.

Now, the big guns will be there for sure. If you guys can manage to go to this big meeting it may be Dan's biggest chance to meet face to face the commercials of your area, and maybe to introduce himself, or at least to get some names and contacts.

To meet face to face in this industry is very important especially because there are many competitors from overseas who come over for the season only(North Americans, Europeans and Asians).

You did not write about Dan's relationship with bees so I will recommend to find out if he is allergic to bee stings and to read few NZ bkping books.

These two book are the mandatory ones: Practical beekeeping in NZ and Elimination of American Foll Brood without of use of drogs.

So fingers crossed.

Welcome on the forum Ange & Dan.

This is a great community with many experienced bkpers(I learn a lot from them).

You guys are in a hot spot in Bay Of Plenty - full of commercial bkpers. Coromandel has many commercials and from Rotorua to east to the ocean also I heard about many commercials.

I remembered two thinks.

Dan should dig on trademe for bkping jobs in your area and find as many commercials via internet/yellow pages etc to send his CV to them.

The second thing is even better for you guys. We have a thread here on the forum about the upcoming bkping conference in Jun, this month in Taupo.

Now, the big guns will be there for sure. If you guys can manage to go to this big meeting it may be Dan's biggest chance to meet face to face the commercials of your area, and maybe to introduce himself, or at least to get some names and contacts.

To meet face to face in this industry is very important especially because there are many competitors from overseas who come over for the season only(North Americans, Europeans and Asians).

You did not write about Dan's relationship with bees so I will recommend to find out if he is allergic to bee stings and to read few NZ bkping books.

These two book are the mandatory ones: Practical beekeeping in NZ and Elimination of American Foll Brood without of use of drogs.

So fingers crossed.

That's really good info, unfortunately can't make the conference, but will get in touch with the local club. He's not allergic and will get both those books. Many thanks.

• Like 1

Bezzants, pm me an email detailing your hubbys exp and we can put it onto local beekeeping list, there will b a few bks looking for workers.

• Like 2

Bezzants, pm me an email detailing your hubbys exp and we can put it onto local beekeeping list, there will b a few bks looking for workers.

@Dennis Crowley you'll need to initiate the pm to @Bezzant&\#039;s Busy Bees as they currently are below the threshold number of message posts to start pm's themselves... (y)

• Like 1

Looking forward to the hawkes bay course its great that is basically free we are lucky that people are willing to help beginners

Telford do correspondence courses google it it is great for beginners and starting out

Have you tried your local bee keepers club if you can find one? Everyone we've dealt with in ours so far has been really friendly and helpful :)