Don’t allow colonies to die of varroa or any other cause

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

This from AFB.orgs list of :"dos & don't"

My question is, at what point do you not allow a colony to die from varroa, and what do you actually do ?

keep on top of your varroa treatment. with PMS looking similar to AFB very easy to mistake one for the other.

• Like 1
This from AFB.orgs list of :"dos & don't"

My question is, at what point do you not allow a colony to die from varroa, and what do you actually do ?

If you think you have a problem try and get a competent person to have look. I'm available next Tuesday.:geek:

It's about stopping robbing of collapsing hives and disease spread.

If you have a hive collapsing and you can't or don't want to stop it, then euthanize it. I freeze them in a chest freezer.

If the hive is that poorly you probably don't have more than a single box worth of bees, so remove any extra boxes. Remove as many frames as you can from the box (honey and pollen frames), space out the remaining frames a bit if you can (anything with brood in it), slap a hivemat on top and bottom to seal it and bung it in the freezer for a few days. Don't be stingey - bees are engineered to cluster and resist cold, so make sure they get properly frozen.

Dispose of the dead bees, and store all the hiveware securely and together, until you can repopulate next season, just as you would for a deadout.

• Like 2