what to do with all the honey

What do all you hobbyist bee keepers do with all your honey?

We had only one hive produce this year and got 130 kg off it. Thank goodness the other two didn't perform as well. I told my son we should only have 2 hives, but he thinks 3 is a good number. If they all do as well as this hive we would have in excess of 300 kg.

I have just bottled 4 dozen big jars of fruit which I thank the bees for their pollination. Yes more work they make for me.

So we use honey in our drinks, I bake with it,I have made mead, I have given some to family and friends, legally I can't sell it.

It seems to have hardly made a dent in it.

What does everyone else do?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What do all you hobbyist bee keepers do with all your honey?

We had only one hive produce this year and got 130 kg off it. Thank goodness the other two didn't perform as well. I told my son we should only have 2 hives, but he thinks 3 is a good number. If they all do as well as this hive we would have in excess of 300 kg.

I have just bottled 4 dozen big jars of fruit which I thank the bees for their pollination. Yes more work they make for me.

So we use honey in our drinks, I bake with it,I have made mead, I have given some to family and friends, legally I can't sell it.

It seems to have hardly made a dent in it.

What does everyone else do?

You could...bottle the honey in nice jars and use them as Christmas presents.

You could...give them to a school for fundraising.

You could...barter:mask:with them for ...?

Just bee creative! :whistle:

• Like 2

Yes I like giving honey away. People are so excited to be given honey.

Before we had bees, we never really ate much honey. Somehow when it is from your own bees it just tastes so much better.

I don't put sugar in my preserving. I think the fruit is sweet enough without it.

A blackboy peach crumble sweetened with honey is sublime

• Like 2

Don't rush, you will find that family, friends and neighbours become quite partial to your honey and like more and more, and there should just be enough for Christmas presents.

Do you find any need for feeding sugar ?

why not get it tutin tested and give some excess to one of the food kitchens in your areas. they would be very appreciative

Still needs to be extracted and packed in a commercial kitchen and meet all the food safety requirements, including tutin testing.

• 3 months later...

A risky business unless you can find a commercial producer to come to your party. There is a real food safety issue with honey around here, particularly comb honey,

viz tutin, a possibly fatally toxic natural ingredient. Commercials have their honey tested for it.

• Like 3