Spent my whole life hearing about the benefits of propolis but have rarely ever used it.

But have decided to give it a proper try so just wondering how people actually use it?

Have been told it should be dissolved in alcohol and that an easy way to do at home is to dissolve it in vodka. So yesterday I went and bought a bottle of vodka, but have been trying to get the propolis to dissolve in it but no luck. Any other suggestions?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We use ethyl alcochol 96%. Better dissolving in higher concentration, faster. With less concentration dissolve slower and lower extraction. There were some announces last year will occur on the market some organic/bio whatever dissolver as replacement for ethyl alcochol, but nothing yet.

Some scientific researches showed that propolis increase the efficiency of antibiotics when used combined in curing.

Well thanks for that info guys.

Dave that's an incredibly useful document and not just for propolis, you are a great asset to the community. From reading the document turns out it's best to use 70% alcohol or better, and therein the problem the vodka is only 37%.

However a friend of a friend is a brewing fanatic who stills alcohol & is going to give me 750 mls of 100% pure tomorrow. So that plus instructions in that document I should be up and running. I'll report back here in time, my buddy got a sore throat now so he's going to be the first object of my experiments. :)

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I collect the propolis off the top bar lugs at times ,often contains squashed bee parts etc,the I kneed it into small balls the once I have enough I Peres each one into the shape of a petal and wrap it around a rose stem.

• Like 1

I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with propolis, when I was a kid my mother used to have a bottle of the tincture and she would drop a few drops into a little water if any of us had a sore throat and we had to slug it back. Tasted hideous, but it really did work incredibly well. I don't inflict that particular one on my kids :)

Until I saw propolis in the propolis mats i never had an appreciation of the incredible variation in colour that it comes. Amazing stuff.