Beeman1

pollen patties

ok, so moving frames between hives is frowned upon as a thing that should not be done for risk of spreading disease! Just wondering is there competent,successful commercial beekeepers who do this, or should no one do it at all?

We swap frames around all the time, especially in our queen raising side of things.

We also inspect for AFB every time we are in a hive or nuc, which, during the queen raising and pollination season, would be about every 2/12 to 3 weeks.

ok, so moving frames between hives is frowned upon as a thing that should not be done for risk of spreading disease! Just wondering is there competent,successful commercial beekeepers who do this, or should no one do it at all?

I am with Frazzledfroozzle plenty of beekeepers move frames around between hives. Some prefer not to. It has risks but these can be well managed as you refer to 'a competent, successful beekeeper' . Though, even the good guys can get caught out but are able to minimise consequences.

If you have a moderate to high rate of AFB, then I wouldn't recommend

its not so much frowned upon, its all about understanding risk.

in the example above is about one hive type being less risk than the other, but in reality the risk is still there because you can still move gear between hives.

a good example of a classic mistake was boss checking a hive that was not in good shape. had sacbrood etc, declared it not afb, then swapped gear over to another hive from it. i come back a few weeks later and both have afb.

what he should have done was to use gear off a good hive instead of the crappy one that was open at the time. he failed to understand the risk and its cost him another hive.

i've had the same thing myself. dieing hive can't quite tell straight off if its afb. so put all the gear on another hive. that keeps it contained to one site and the suspect one won't die and be robbed out. sadly that was also afb.

had i assumed it wasn't afb and reused the gear elsewhere, we would have had multiple cases of afb. so loosing another hive was better than loosing a lot more and spreading the problem around the countryside.

half the battle is understanding the risks.

I use "Feed Bee" as the base for mine. I buy the feed bee off in Wanganui, who imports it, then I mix it with 1:1 sugar syrup.

I make up a fair bit and then put handful size lumps into a pie bag, then store them in the deep freeze until I want them. They keep for ages.

Great product Feed Bee. You can find Neil's contact details in the NZ Beekeeper Mag.

Hi Trevor its Richie, Aprox what time of the year do you feed your bees the feed bee mixture and for how long?

Hi Trevor its Richie, Aprox what time of the year do you feed your bees the feed bee mixture and for how long?

Hi Ritchie @Beena. Welcome to the forum. I usually only feed patties in the spring. Around Sept/October. Once the bees are bringing in good quantities of pollen you can stop feeding pollen patties.

Hi Ritchie @Beena. Welcome to the forum. I usually only feed patties in the spring. Around Sept/October. Once the bees are bringing in good quantities of pollen you can stop feeding pollen patties.

Awesome I'm gonna give them a shot in early spring, thanks

Thought I might bring this one back to life...

I checked all my hives at my home apairy on Saturday - it's in the middle of dairy country, so minimal pollen varieties, but I've never had a problem in the past. All hives were building up well two weeks ago, but this weekend I noticed no larvae. Capped brood, and eggs, but no larvae. There was also no pollen.

Presumably with the days of poor weather we've just had they've used up their stores of pollen, and cannabalised the larvae as they couldn't feed it.

Half of the hives were also light on honey stores - they were topped up with sugar syrup.

The last couple of days have been fine and they've been really busy bringing in pollen, but I'm going to make up some FeedBee patties today so they can have some in reserve if they need it.

I'm not generally a proponent of feeding hives as I'd rather try to leave them enough of their own stores to begin with, but I think it's irresponsible to let them die rather than give them something artificial.

• Like 2

nice set up stu. we use a Bunnings concrete mixer throw all ingredients in mix for 20 odd minutes, pour into fish bin when done and just spatula it on top of frames, bit crude but works, at the moment we are feeding about a bag/fish bin a week, this should double as hives get stronger.

I think people get confused with pollen and these feed mixes these feed mixs are protein based products designed to get required protein levels into hives, what I understand most pollens do not carry the required protein levels a hive requires hence the use of supplement, we still need the pollens and they are still of value but the bees require (amongst other things) correct protein levels to be or remain healthy

• Like 3

@Stu if you can make in a day enough for 2 years but you aren't making patties for others what on earth are you doing with it?