Centrifugal v centripetal force

centrifugal force does not exist

According to Dr Google :Centrifugal Force :

Tendency of an object following a curved path to fly away from the center of curvature. Might be described as “lack of centripetal force.”

Centripetal force is what keeps the extractor baskets moving in a circular path. It is lack of this force that allows the honey to fly out .

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

resulting in to large a centripetal force (centrifugal force does not exist). In both types of extractors, centripetal force acts towards the centre and if this is large than friction holding the honey it "flies out" (actually it continues in a straight line until it hits the side wall of the extractor).

Here endeth the lesson

I used to hear this same explanation from my physics teacher many years ago
According to Dr Google :Centrifugal Force :

Tendency of an object following a curved path to fly away from the center of curvature. Might be described as “lack of centripetal force.”

Centripetal force is what keeps the extractor baskets moving in a circular path. It is lack of this force that allows the honey to fly out .

Milley with her tin can on the end of a string with her pet bug inside...that one ???....:rofl::rofl:

Can't help but bite, in circular motion the object is accelerating towards the centre, with a resultant centripetal force described by f equals ma where a is the acceleration , which equals speed squared/ radius thus centripetal force equals mass x speed squared / radius. If centrifugal force exerted an equal and opposite force outwards then the object would continue in a straight line according to Newton's first law.

An object can accelerate towards an object without getting closer as its acceleration is at 90 degrees to its instantaneous velocity

Can't help but bite, in circular motion the object is accelerating towards the centre, with a resultant centripetal force described by f equals ma where a is the acceleration , which equals speed squared/ radius thus centripetal force equals mass x speed squared / radius. If centrifugal force exerted an equal and opposite force outwards then the object would continue in a straight line according to Newton's first law.

An object can accelerate towards an object without getting closer as its acceleration is at 90 degrees to its instantaneous velocity

Absolutely.:what:. That's why I never got far with physics;)

That being said, I believe you are right:)

If centrifugal force

Aha don't you mean centrifugal - not-force ? I've decided this has all come about because somebody invented a machine they decided to call a centrifuge. The force of this centrifuge could be used to demonstrate that centripetal force could be overcome The "force of the centrifuge" has since been abbreviated to centrifugal force.