Queenright or queenless finishing hive?

From a newbies perspective the Cloake method was a saving grace when I needed Queens early and was having trouble finding a few. I followed Sue Cobey's outline at the link below. Did the trick nicely and goes some way to learning a way to set up.

Thanks for that link.

I saved it to my reference library.

If you were able to follow that system through to mated queens, then as a nubee you did very well, congratulations.

Many wouldn't advise such an undertaking but again well done

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks @Philbee. I only did a few (10) and have 6 lovely very strong laying Queens from them. Three didn't make it through the rough spring winds & 1 didn't emerge. I think due to the amount of burr comb about it. It was pretty much buried. The exercise saved a Queen less hive for me which was the prime objective and also gave me healthy 3 & 4 frame nucs. I stopped and returned the starter/finisher hive to standard as it was very close to swarm level of population. I removed brood & bees to weaken it and provide for the Queen less hive.

A steep learning curve but I would encourage beginners to give it a go for the experience. Some more in Autumn for me.

• Like 2
  • 5 weeks later...

The guy who trained me in queen raising said the point of putting the cells into a queenright hive for finishing is so that they are fed more royal jelly. So, apparently the bees don't hurry to cap the queen cells so much in a queenright hive, as opposed to a queenless hive, and as a result feed them more royal jelly... This can also be assessed - if there is ample royal jelly in the queen cell after she hatches this means she has had more than enough food. Whereas if all of the royal jelly has been eaten then it was probably on the light side and didn't have as much food to develop on before hatching...

• Like 1

Enjoying this thread and learning heaps through the discussions!

A question that come to mind is what others think about the use of Apivar or Bayvarol during cell raising? Does it make any difference to the outcomes?

My inclination is the less chemical involved the better but needs must to survive at times.

Have thought of using Formic evaporator at end of summer prior to trying to raise some cells again I could follow with Bayvarol when finished if needed which I suspect it will be.

The Queen losses that go on as you say @frazzedfozzle might be as much other environmental changes too that seem to be occurring?

Our Varroa control probably adds to the problems I suspect.

Just to stay on topic.....I will use the Queen right finisher way.