Dealing with rampant growth

I've been thinking that if I don't muck up mite treatment again this year I'll be facing the same problem everyone else does with rampant increase of bees, splits/combines for africa and more & more boxes/honey. What's now bubbled up to the top of my mental pond & is floating on top like a scum is the notion that regularly squashing the queen could be a workable strategy for staying with just two moderately sized hives, and a usable amount of honey instead of drowning in the stuff...

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've been thinking that if I don't muck up mite treatment again this year I'll be facing the same problem everyone else does with rampant increase of bees, splits/combines for africa and more & more boxes/honey. What's now bubbled up to the top of my mental pond & is floating on top like a scum is the notion that regularly squashing the queen could be a workable strategy for staying with just two moderately sized hives, and a usable amount of honey instead of drowning in the stuff...

Gift horse, mouth? Long live the Queen.

• Like 1

Yeah right,then a coupla hundred bucks worth of pottles, then endless worrying about how to get some recompense. No, my challenge is to keep this particular hobby of mine a low resource & energy user. It's why I always advocate for the easy way out of anyone's dilemmas. I'm sure heaps of newbies give up after a few years because things get out of hand. & may I say @Trevor Gillbanks I think you're getting very handed with the stirrer ! :cry:

Yeah right,then a coupla hundred bucks worth of pottles, then endless worrying about how to get some recompense. No, my challenge is to keep this particular hobby of mine a low resource & energy user. It's why I always advocate for the easy way out of anyone's dilemmas. I'm sure heaps of newbies give up after a few years because things get out of hand. & may I say @Trevor Gillbanks I think you're getting very handed with the stirrer ! :cry:

I am putting out fires all over today, do you want me come round and takeaway some splits off you. I can reduce your population no worries.

I'll try again, If I wish to limit the population growth of my bees in order to retain no more and no less than two moderately sized colonies what are the easiest, lowest input strategies I could adopt ? :geek:

Dont change a thing.........:rolleyes:

Yes I can completely understand where you are coming from @yesbut. You only want two hives no more, no less. The rest of us seem to be the opposite. How to main two hives without them swarming and spewing nucs and extra hives everywhere. No idea, but would love to know.

This is your golden opportunity to split, split, split and sell, sell, sell - while the moonooka madness continues, or not as there is a good demand for hives.

This pic shows 2 hives with brood boxes of FD with 3/4 on top, qe then honey supers (2 on left, 1 on right). Then a split board on right hive and split box opening backwards. The split box was the 3/4 in the brood box, and we introduced a new 3/4 box with foundation/drawn comb checkboarding.

The left hive shows the split already released and on its own base board, ready to be moved off or sold.

If the brood box starts to get too busy again, you can split again.

Same foot print, seems to prevent swarming, gets enough honey, ends up with 2 hives in apiary.

split-hives-1482.jpg.27d4462866391e9694ed964098ad0dad.jpg

• Like 1

Re queen and brood culling? But the bees will put away more honey during the brood brake Catch 22 .You could sit back all smug like woe is me my bees are thriving :D You could be the only one on this site with this problem I'm heading to Nelson this weekend could take away some of your burden .

I understand you wanting to have just the two hives but you dont need to limit the bee numbers in those hives to keep your hive numbers at two.

I dont know what it is that you are trying to avoid ?

Are your bees making too much honey? Are you making up splits to lighten off your main hives and you dont want more bees ? Are your bees swarming and you dont want them too? Or do you just want two hives with less bees.

I understand you wanting to have just the two hives but you dont need to limit the bee numbers in those hives to keep your hive numbers at two.

I dont know what it is that you are trying to avoid ?

Are your bees making too much honey? Are you making up splits to lighten off your main hives and you dont want more bees ? Are your bees swarming and you dont want them too? Or do you just want two hives with less bees.

What I want is two healthy queens in two healthy colonies that don't swarm, don't produce more honey than I feel like harvesting, and don't require enough input to disrupt my busy silviculture, weeding, & planting regime. (or work). My current thinking is that removing some brood on a regular basis is the most efficient answer. I could offer no responsibility walkaway splits to any takers, but that involves time, dealing with people, and also means buying new gear. Plus I'd hate to jeopardise frazz's & BSB businesses :rofl:

It may be academic anyway, who knows what the outcome of my HyperMite regime will be !

What I want is two healthy queens in two healthy colonies that don't swarm, don't produce more honey than I feel like harvesting, and don't require enough input to disrupt my busy silviculture, weeding, & planting regime. (or work). My current thinking is that removing some brood on a regular basis is the most efficient answer. I could offer no responsibility walkaway splits to any takers, but that involves time, dealing with people, and also means buying new gear. Plus I'd hate to jeopardise frazz's & BSB businesses :rofl:

It may be academic anyway, who knows what the outcome of my HyperMite regime will be !

Another way to spend zero dollars if contemplating offering splits off hives is for the prospective new owner to supply you with either waxed plastic frames or assembled, wired with foundation frames to replace the ones removed from your hive/s. They also supply you with the single hive box set and optional queen/cell. All that is required from you is removing bees, frames of brood in to the hive and a little bit of management until the setup is established in the box and then the new owner collects.

• Like 1