fieldbee

How is your honey crop so far?

Of ........????

Uncapped nectar...... And bees

Uncapped nectar...... And bees

What are they on clover ?

What are they on clover ?

Clover and catsear in abundance

Any boxes of foundation for them to draw out.With a flow like that they woulddraw the foundation very fast.

Any boxes of foundation for them to draw out.With a flow like that they woulddraw the foundation very fast.

Yes the whole hive has been new foundation.

• Like 2

Just like Rata.I have seen a box of foundation go to fully capped honey in 3 days.No,sleep,for the beekeeper then.

• Like 1

Clover and catsear in abundance

Thanks for that, my latest new plant.....Catsear ! I thought they were dandelions

Thanks for that, my latest new plant.....Catsear ! I thought they were dandelions

Catsear is often mistaken for buttercup too

We have a similar 'problem' with 17 hives (my daughters - both of them) right next to huge squash paddocks put a box on on the 5th didn't take enough boxes on the 'round' went back yesterday to do more, on the 6th to discover they'd drawn a huge amount of comb on the foundation in 24 hours, and were frantically filling, still not enough boxes... They've capped everything underneath.

@Bron what will the girls (bees) do when everything is full of capped honey, as well as the brood box ? Will they hang out and/or swarm ? I presume that urgent extraction is needed if more boxes can't be obtained, or ... ?

Such a basic question, but outside my experience until this year.

Thanks.

Catsear, snapped earlier today

5992eac54b77c_2015-01-0713_34_59.jpg.c644ccc82c79206a5e27357d3c1a2890.jpg

• Like 2

@Bron what will the girls (bees) do when everything is full of capped honey, as well as the brood box ? Will they hang out and/or swarm ? I presume that urgent extraction is needed if more boxes can't be obtained, or ... ?

Such a basic question, but outside my experience until this year.

Thanks.

Mine filled the brood box up with honey 6 frames queen layed in 4 frames,no excluder with 2 boxes of sections on top.They would notput honey in the,sections so built swarm,cells instead.Luckily I got back,killed,swarm cells and put a drawn comb box on them.Moved the,section box above the new box.

@tudor, what Roy said. I've still got boxes. With foundation they will go back and fatten up the frames they've already capped until they are fat. They'll hang out then my mate will ring and tell me the bees are hanging out, and we'll whack on another box, until they run out. Might have to see what's up with the honey house:whistle:
  • Like 1

@kevin moore, good to hear, feeling like I'm gonna run outta gear too... Been to clever for my own good this year and there's also been a bit of @Daley depletion :rolleyes::mad: 32 degrees in a bee suit = serious glow... Bees are loving it

@Bron what's happened to @Daley - missing her smiley face around these parts.

She's busy workin two jobs and boyfriend:rolleyes::rofl::rofl:

• Like 1

She's busy workin two jobs and boyfriend:rolleyes::rofl::rofl:

Tell her to sort out her priorities :whistle::whistle: The forum should be the first and last thing she does every day (like the rest of us fruit loops):rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

• Like 3

Flicked through my copy of The Beekeeper and saw the words "this seasons miserable crop", got me to thinking maybe the optimism of the last few weeks is fading.

For me, after Christmas I thought all was going great but it's come to an end real fast, and my honey crop is significantly down on normal. Not quite decided though because I've also hit all hives very hard this season for splits and nucs so not sure what would have happened had they been run just for honey.

In fact the hives were harvested for bees so hard that there are none of the frames left that were there in spring, and I know that because in spring my hives frames were wood and wax, I've switched to plastic and all frames are now plastic there are no wood ones left at all, they have all been sold with nucs and singles.

• Like 2

Flicked through my copy of The Beekeeper and saw the words "this seasons miserable crop", got me to thinking maybe the optimism of the last few weeks is fading.

For me, after Christmas I thought all was going great but it's come to an end real fast, and my honey crop is significantly down on normal. Not quite decided though because I've also hit all hives very hard this season for splits and nucs so not sure what would have happened had they been run just for honey.

In fact the hives were harvested for bees so hard that there are none of the frames left that were there in spring, and I know that because in spring my hives frames were wood and wax, I've switched to plastic and all frames are now plastic there are no wood ones left at all, they have all been sold with nucs and singles.

You better get more frames drawn out before the flow stops completely! ;)

It is raining today, so in the next few days bees will find heaps more nectar to bring home!

Well done @Alastair ! (y)

• Like 1

Not quite decided though because I've also hit all hives very hard this season for splits and nucs so not sure what would have happened had they been run just for honey.

i think you would have done very well if it had been just for honey.

at the moment its looking like we may do more than last year and i think we could have done better as some sites not boxed up very well. plus the hives got such a pounding due to the poor spring, so quite a variation in strength.

backyard honey crop is pretty tasty, and sufficient in quantity

• Like 1

We had a good start to the season thought we would be over flowing with honey . But no rain for so long things are so dry out here the sheep are farting dust . Our bees are knocking back the supers NEED RAIN and we could finish strong

around here quantity per hive was almost like last year.

but a very slow start. (the latest ever)

no rewarewa. and a lot of white stuff in the end.

the industry is very quite. usually that means big crops.

Very nice to have wets to put back on the hives and give the bees a good head start with filling up more boxes :)