fieldbee

How is your honey crop so far?

Is your honey crop up or down on an average year?

Still to early to tell

• Like 1

way to early to even remotely guess.

wait till the end of the season.

• Like 1

clearly down i expect. luckily got a few more hives than last year, but still that won't make up for it.

it's not over jet. since it was all a bit late it should last a bit longer in some pockets anyway.

Well down so far.

Checked some splits today, made them a few weeks ago they had little stores but I moved them to a site with plenty Kanuka starting to flower I thought they would do well. Anyhow today I checked, Kanuka at that site now in full bloom, but the bees got absolutely nothing. I had some honey on the truck just taken from a different site so gave each one a comb or likely to lose them.

Weird year, a couple of sites the bees did extremely well a few weeks ago, honey pouring in, and one of these is a site that is normally my worst. Other sites doing nothing or going backwards, and it's practically Christmas. Lots of bees though, but empty combs.

However as per the others I'm hoping maybe after Christmas will be good & make up for it.

Down on previous years. But having been packing it in in the last 2 weeks. Ive never fed hives before this season and have been caught out this year at a couple of apiaries where hives went backwards because chewed through all the stores... lesson learnt.

Interesting comments, I like the varied responses. "Too early to tell", tells me you still are hoping for it to turn around. Some crops have finished with very little in, overall the take to date is way down. Go to some sites one day and have it bucketing in but that only lasts a few days with the weather, go back thinking it should be chocka and find the box still not full.

Yes MackAp we have kept the sugar and trucking company in business this season. Oh well hoping for lots of sun and warmth now.

Well down so far.

Checked some splits today, made them a few weeks ago they had little stores but I moved them to a site with plenty Kanuka starting to flower I thought they would do well. Anyhow today I checked, Kanuka at that site now in full bloom, but the bees got absolutely nothing. I had some honey on the truck just taken from a different site so gave each one a comb or likely to lose them.

Weird year, a couple of sites the bees did extremely well a few weeks ago, honey pouring in, and one of these is a site that is normally my worst. Other sites doing nothing or going backwards, and it's practically Christmas. Lots of bees though, but empty combs.

However as per the others I'm hoping maybe after Christmas will be good & make up for it.

Pretty much the same as Alastair.

Flowers every where, problem is the lack of sun. Today is the 6th straight day in a row here of heavy grey skies with either heavy rain or like today light patchy drizzle.

Most of what I want is comb honey from the bush, rewarewa. Almost no flower, and I put in some starters to coincide with the kamahi, which has been flowering well, and they haven't touched them. The deadline for cut comb fast approaching so I've given that thought up. Tawari has started to flower, and the blackberry, so there should be something, but I've already lost interest.

We've had a few beaut days in a row, more forecast, Kanuka showing well , busy buzzing :)

We've had a few beaut days in a row, more forecast, Kanuka showing well , busy buzzing :)

I agree, kanuka looks the best for years. A white Christmas after all. TV1 weather just said we are sunny until at least till the 28th.

The deadline for cut comb fast approaching so I've given that thought up.

If it's for your own consumption surely there's a teeny bit of leeway, the 30 December is surely a very arbitrary time based on a worst case scenario prime hopper/ floral dearth ? Your own observation will tell you what you need to know I would have thought. but perhaps you planned on selling or giving away the stuff.

"Too early to tell", tells me you still are hoping for it to turn around.

not uncommon to have a write off spring and have a fantastic summer. downside is spring is manuka so thats a disaster this year.

its already started to turn around, been to a couple of sites today and they have two boxes of capped honey on. threw on 3 FD boxes, a good chance they will fill them. if weather plays ball could get a few more.

don't write a season off when your only half way through.

• Like 1

not uncommon to have a write off spring and have a fantastic summer. downside is spring is manuka so thats a disaster this year.

its already started to turn around, been to a couple of sites today and they have two boxes of capped honey on. threw on 3 FD boxes, a good chance they will fill them. if weather plays ball could get a few more.

don't write a season off when your only half way through.

Thanks for your encouragement

Last year we had a great start to the season things were really pumping, heaps of bees nectar coming in and we were worried about having enough supers. The December came and so did the rain, it rained for a whole month with lots of wind as well. There was hardly a flower to be seen and the boxes were empty at the beginning of january.

In one area we harvested 84 boxes from 200 hives in our first round.

The weather eventually came right and we harvested an OK crop, prices were up as they look to be this year so although it wasnt a good year it was enough to cover the bills and put some in the bank.

This year we have kamahi to harvest and the manuka/kanuka is flowering, bees are overflowing the hives and look fantastic so now we just need the weather gods to stay on our side.

If your honey boxes are still empty come the end of Feb then you have a problem but as others have said theres still plenty of time.

• Like 2

I hear you guys are quoting rain/cloudy weather as the culprit, can droughts have just as much of a negative effect on honey production?

I hear you guys are quoting rain/cloudy weather as the culprit, can droughts have just as much of a negative effect on honey production?

Yes. of course.

I think that honey flow is very dependent on apiary location combined with the weather. Last year's drought resulted in a good crop of Pennyroyal for one of my apiaries, the first time in six years, after I'd decided it was not going to be a good year. Over time, you get a feel for where an apiary should be at through the year, and then it surprises you.

Pohutukawa nectar in abundance on the trees on the Mount, give the branch a shake and it falls like rain. No bees tho!IMG_2620.JPG.24103f16af7ba328c96464bbd0762157.JPG

IMG_2632.JPG.f972f676c1e51a933917a6462649a37b.JPG

• Like 1

@Rob&\#039;s BP Honey aside, the Pohutukawa around Tauranga and the Mount are superb this year.

@Dave Black Yes, just too bad there aren't any bees in them. I had a buyer enquiry today for P. Honey, but most guys are chasing other (read Manuka!) crops instead...

droughts can be good for honey flow , to a point.

get the heat into them and nectar will flow, but to hot and the plants will dry up and produce nothing.

honey flows are very area dependent and site dependent. it generally takes 3-4 years to get an idea of how a site behaves and how to tailor your beekeeping to that.

Pohutukawa is well out in flower. my bees at home are busy on the neighbors tree. however no shake of nectar yet.

wondering if they will get anything due to the winds absolutely hammered the Pohutukawa flowers.

O

droughts can be good for honey flow , to a point.

get the heat into them and nectar will flow, but to hot and the plants will dry up and produce nothing.

honey flows are very area dependent and site dependent. it generally takes 3-4 years to get an idea of how a site behaves and how to tailor your beekeeping to that.

Pohutukawa is well out in flower. my bees at home are busy on the neighbors tree. however no shake of nectar yet.

wondering if they will get anything due to the winds absolutely hammered the Pohutukawa flowers.

Orere, Kawakawa, Firth of Thames Pohutukawa is looking good. Id love to have hives there.

Bees doing really great lots of full boxes, but very little capped and runing out of boxes fast, just hope the last few really hot days have helprd bring down the moisture in the hives, and the Lavender is some thing like 10 days behind last year !

• Like 2

Rewarewa is cranking at home; which is pretty late flowering this year. 5 finger got the flow going in late spring. Manuka (of which there is a limited number) is flowering and bees are ignoring it for the Rewarewa.

• Like 2