wool carder bee

Fibo86

Have you seen this culprit in your area of NZ?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Have you seen this culprit in your area of NZ?

• Yes
    • No

Is got some guy in a bee costume on the forum.

OK. Now I see what you are saying. This is not taking over a beehive mearly making use of the space between the hive matt and the lid. This is in the same place as we all find, ants, cockroaches and spiders. I do not see anyone saying these other critters taking over a hive.

I am still not convinced they are a problem. As I have said. I like them and I love their attitude and watching how they work.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes Fibo86, it never occurred to me, but that post could have been read that the wool carders were in hives as in domestic beehives. So you certainly have a good memory. However by hives she actually meant the wool carders own little constructions which are very small, built by just one bee and they lay their eggs in then leave.

Great to have another Ozzy. :)

• Like 1

as I have said before this is another gross breach of our bio security regardless of whether they are cute or not. They have been around the Hastings area for a few years now and don't seem to be causing any great problems but that doesn't mean they won't. Plague locusts are harmless crickets until the right conditions arrive. The total lack of any attempt to control them when they first arrived shows how committed government is to control introduced pests. As time has passed it becomes more and more likely that wool carders won't be a major problem however they have been documented killing bees and they quite obviously compete for the same nectar and pollen. Rabbits, possums and me as a baby were all regarded as cute and harmless at some stage.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...