beefree

The sustainability of making reasonable money off breeding bees.

Hi Beefree, I have the same idea and I already started, small as well..I live in Christchurch as well. Maybe we can combine our forces. I have only 14 hives at the moment in one site, looking for another site right now. Slowly growing :). I think export to US/Canada will work.Get in touch with me if you want and we share some thoughts. I had 100 hives back in Europe 10 years ago and used to sell queens.

Hey, it would be great to get together and compare notes. I'm currently on my second round of raising queens albeit very small scale, raising both Carniolan's and Italian's side by side, though the drone population is a mixed bag, I really need to find myself a more isolated site. Currently up to 12 hives soon to be 18 spread across 3 apiaries yet I'm chocka full and desperately need more sites. It also looks like I might have to sell a couple of hives to fund more boxes, gee I spent of small fortunate on boxes already and I've only just started, so I really hear those who say it's good to be self sustainable from the start.

Oh by the way Stefan, I have a potential site over Cashmere way that can take a decent number of hives, you are welcome to share this, though a 4wd is required and access is via the neighbors paddock which I have not managed to get in contact with yet, so I ain't holding my breath.

Hi, why don't you look into a two queen hive . Split in the middle, and just run 500 hives? Also the Manuka market is massive, The only thing in my mind that would stuff it in NZ is if someone started growing Manuka overseas.! I may have a contact in Canada for you for Queens.

What is the advantage of a two queen hive? Australia is already selling Manuka and they have some high potency plants in the same family as Manuka, so perhaps it's just a matter of time before they step their game up, though I'm told kiwi's are better beeks and we already beat them to it with established markets.

Hi, back in Europe I used to run hives with three queens. I've tried this here last season and went really well but I lost one during the winter and I have to move the bees in normal boxes but I do have another three setups like that and I will use them next season.

The boxes are on 7 frames per two levels and on top of all three we put normal two queen excluders and full depth boxes, some time 6-8 boxes.

We mainly used them to take brood for making new nucs. Working with three queens like that they produce much more honey than if you had three families separated. In the winter we separate them and they will be standalone hives. The photo shows how they look before I added two more storeys.bees.jpg.966150d732ab73127b1fafcb10dfcff6.jpg

• Like 2

Hey, it would be great to get together and compare notes. I'm currently on my second round of raising queens albeit very small scale, raising both Carniolan's and Italian's side by side, though the drone population is a mixed bag, I really need to find myself a more isolated site. Currently up to 12 hives soon to be 18 spread across 3 apiaries yet I'm chocka full and desperately need more sites. It also looks like I might have to sell a couple of hives to fund more boxes, gee I spent of small fortunate on boxes already and I've only just started, so I really hear those who say it's good to be self sustainable from the start.

Oh by the way Stefan, I have a potential site over Cashmere way that can take a decent number of hives, you are welcome to share this, though a 4wd is required and access is via the neighbors paddock which I have not managed to get in contact with yet, so I ain't holding my breath.

Hi beefree, I couldn't figure out how to send you a private message from this forum so maybe you could message me with you phone number and we can have a chat and I can show my site.

Cheers

Stefan

Hi beefree, I couldn't figure out how to send you a private message from this forum so maybe you could message me with you phone number and we can have a chat and I can show my site.

Cheers

Stefan

You need 10 posts before you can PM

Thank you! Pm answer answered... Trying to ask the administrator a question as in the rules. ;)