New Zealand Swarm Dates for 2011

I started by putting 5 Lang frames from a Nuc into my TBH. I had to cut the sides off the frames to fit the sloped TBH but as they were plastic it was not too hard, but certainly messy with sawn up honey, brood and pollen! I then shook all the bees in. I now have 20 bars drawn and what seems to be a growing hive.

Rodger that would certainly help with straight comb building having the plastic frames already drawn. Did the bees carry on making straight comb?

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Rodger that would certainly help with straight comb building having the plastic frames already drawn. Did the bees carry on making straight comb?
yes they have carried on with straight comb. My avatar is a pic of one of the first combs drawn. Cheers

Insanity. Harvesting honey yesterday and a swarm flew straight through the apiary we were working in and swept on up the hill. Couldn't follow it unfortunately.

And this morning a large swarm took over our neighbour's backyard, attracted into our garage which is full of boxes for repair.

Harvesting yesterday we went through about 35 hives and three had swarm cells in them. Admittedly they're under a bit of pressure for space, but not enough to account for that.

• Like 1
Insanity. Harvesting honey yesterday and a swarm flew straight through the apiary we were working in and swept on up the hill. Couldn't follow it unfortunately.

And this morning a large swarm took over our neighbour's backyard, attracted into our garage which is full of boxes for repair.

Harvesting yesterday we went through about 35 hives and three had swarm cells in them. Admittedly they're under a bit of pressure for space, but not enough to account for that.

whats causing it then this year? weather?

I don't think it can be weather. We have had dry and sunny weather here while the northeners have been growing webs between their toes, but I keep catching (or missing) swarms, too. I don't think any of my hives are overcrowded, though they are booming. I just keep on building boxes and bases . . .

whats causing it then this year? weather?

I quizzed John Berry on the likelihood of a strong swarming season a few months ago before all this was really apparent - because we'd had such a rotten season last year and very very little swarming because of it, I was curious if there might be a rebound effect this year with increased swarming. Of course John's got years of experience and records over me - he felt there wasn't a correlation from his experience.

We've had a bit of rain here, things are still looking pretty green and I'd say overall it's been pretty good recently and mine are in good shape for it, but there are certainly others close to me who have either suffered for the rain or are preparing for things to dry up shortly. And as Janice noted, the swarming seems to be happening regardless of local weather.

I know in my case, though, that last year's weather means I missed requeening, so I've had a large proportion of two year old or even three year old queens in my stock - pretty much anything that didn't supercede or wasn't a split last year. For all that though, it's obvious our own stock hasn't been nearly as bad for swarming as some. I think I've recorded about 10% swarm prep up to Christmas, and there's only I think two of those that actually got away from us. The new swarm cells I found last week I reckon two of the three will actually supercede rather than go.

:) In other words, ######ed if I know!

• Like 1

Certainly last year it rained and rained here and I had no swarms in either of my two hives. Both were new and small, though, and had new queens.

I split them (made two into five) this year in October and they began swarming within a fortnight. They haven't stopped yet. I do wonder if the new queens I got are extra swarmy ones. The bees are definitely quick to build up and gathering lots of honey. But since it's only my second season beekeeping, and the first with my hives at home, I haven't a clue what is normal. I will just have to keep good notes and try to work it out.

• Like 2
Janice, dare I ask... Italian or Carniolan?

Lovely golden Italian queens. No carniolans in the area as far as I know; before I brought the hives home I hadn't seen a honey bee for about three years. But a lot of big fat black drones have turned up so there's other bees somewhere handy . . .

Lovely golden Italian queens. No carniolans in the area as far as I know; before I brought the hives home I hadn't seen a honey bee for about three years. But a lot of big fat black drones have turned up so there's other bees somewhere handy . . .

Big? fat? black?... Oh, the drones..lol.. My carniolans are much as you describe, but without a pic I would hesitate to claim them as such. Italian drones that I have had in the past have also appeared darker than the workers, but definitely not black. Maybe google Carniolan drone pics for a comparison?

• Like 1

Had a call for a swarm in an old sleepout, turned out to have been there quite a while so was another cutout mission. After vacuuming up most of the bees cutting out all comb, plenty of honey, putting brood comb into new hive, then tipping bees in and hoping for the best. Wasn't sure if I got queen in or not as there where plenty of places to hide with rotting frames etc. Next day owner rung in afternoon to say thousands of bees flying about. I guessed we hadn;t got the queen and all bees bar the nurse bees on brood left new hive and went back into sleepout wall. With all comb removed they clustered under stud in wall. Round 2, vacuumed up bees and tipped in hive. Success this time, went back tonight and they were all in new hive, relocated to my apairy. When I finished on friday night, checked phone had a message for another swarm in a park in Katikati so I went over and collected them, real easy about head high. Must say I havn't benn keen on tipping them out in front of hive, but the book says and following Pauls lead I set up my hive (unpainted box) and tipped on to a piece of hardboard. Within seconds they were trooping in, amazing sight to behold. Probably 90% went in the hive last 10% stayed out the night on front of hive and on hard board. By mid morning they were all in. I now need to getting painting and building boxes.

:)

kati06.jpg.eb7d8bd534d7824cfe03a4548aaa3312.jpg

kati01.jpg.c86c3b1763633bf2c4e659d70be11960.jpg

kati02.jpg.ed171d7bb6e682116799546f8fee7f43.jpg

kati03.jpg.0a94628a8c4daf74e53fca426c3099b5.jpg

kati04a.jpg.49e8dcb4fa5bed10e5dbbbdad8732b43.jpg

• Like 3
Had a call for a swarm in an old sleepout, turned out to have been there quite a while so was another cutout mission.

Thats a great report on your swarm capture. I read it on my phone the other day and though I must make a comment next time I'm on the PC. Of course I forgot, but it reads just as well the 2nd time around. Makes it all the more interesting with the images too

Had a call for a swarm in an old sleepout, turned out to have been there quite a while so was another cutout mission. After vacuuming up most of the bees cutting out all comb, plenty of honey, putting brood comb into new hive, then tipping bees in and hoping for the best. Wasn't sure if I got queen in or not as there where plenty of places to hide with rotting frames etc. Next day owner rung in afternoon to say thousands of bees flying about. I guessed we hadn;t got the queen and all bees bar the nurse bees on brood left new hive and went back into sleepout wall. With all comb removed they clustered under stud in wall. Round 2, vacuumed up bees and tipped in hive. Success this time, went back tonight and they were all in new hive, relocated to my apairy. When I finished on friday night, checked phone had a message for another swarm in a park in Katikati so I went over and collected them, real easy about head high. Must say I havn't benn keen on tipping them out in front of hive, but the book says and following Pauls lead I set up my hive (unpainted box) and tipped on to a piece of hardboard. Within seconds they were trooping in, amazing sight to behold. Probably 90% went in the hive last 10% stayed out the night on front of hive and on hard board. By mid morning they were all in. I now need to getting painting and building boxes.

:)

[ATTACH]410[/ATTACH][ATTACH]411[/ATTACH][ATTACH]412[/ATTACH][ATTACH]413[/ATTACH][ATTACH]414[/ATTACH]

katikati swarm looks to be a prime swarm! Congratulations :)

Haven

There are some who think these late swarms are because of varoa and all that these diabolical pest bring with them.

Can anyone remember if there were numerous late swarms pre varoa?

No varroa found here yet. Plenty of swarms, though.

• Like 1
There are some who think these late swarms are because of varoa and all that these diabolical pest bring with them.

Can anyone remember if there were numerous late swarms pre varoa?

Can't speak for pre-varroa, but we've been in five years now, starting well after varroa was entrenched here in the Bay, and this is the only year we've had this swarming. Previous years, come November it was pretty much all over Rover

• Like 1