tudor

How many hives to make you Semi-Commercial?

A couple of apiaries we are semi commercial.

Bron, can you tell me how many hives makes one semi commercial ?

By default in NZ if you have more than 10 hives you are classed as semi commercial.

However the reality is slightly different I Know a "Life styler" with less than 10 hives and several hobbiest with more the 10.

You can sell honey from a single hive but the economics don't add up. The point were the economics add up will be different for each person.

• Like 2

That's what it says on apiweb, and yep there's a magic number after 10 to I think 249 where I think you are semi commercial then at 250 you magically get to play in a bigger sandpit.

• Like 1

I cant remember where I saw it but isnt there a fee structure for registration as well, I am pretty sure that states the cut off points for what bracket you are operating in with the number of hives and apiaries. Hobbiest, Semi commercial, Full commercial

I cant remember where I saw it but isnt there a fee structure for registration as well, I am pretty sure that states the cut off points for what bracket you are operating in with the number of hives and apiaries. Hobbiest, Semi commercial, Full commercial

I think you are talking NBA membership.

No such thing in Registration of hives/apiaries.

Once you go over3 apiaries and or 10 hives you pay by the apiary (as part of AFB registration.) Call yourself what you want with as many hives as you want.

That's what it says on apiweb, and yep there's a magic number after 10 to I think 249 where I think you are semi commercial then at 250 you magically get to play in a bigger sandpit.

Wonder what wifey would say if I said I wanted to be in the bigger sandpit? :unsure:

Bron, can you tell me how many hives makes one semi commercial ?

Maybe I asked the wrong question.

Is it the number of hives, or how much honey you take off (on average), or some other indicator ?

Or how many hours / days per week ? Or what proportion of you time are awake is spent on beekeeping ?

I work less on the bees at the weekend, he works the bees during the week, (we go out at the weekend so I can get my fix) hopefully this is no longer a 'hobby', and is this year a fully fledged (someone will get paid) business. :sneaky:

• Like 1

Maybe I asked the wrong question.

Is it the number of hives, or how much honey you take off (on average), or some other indicator ?

Or how many hours / days per week ? Or what proportion of you time are awake is spent on beekeeping ?

number of hives

Lots, but not heaps and heaps

• Like 1

so just heaps

Piles of boxes

Piles of boxes

so you have heaps of piles....that must be uncomfortable:eek:

Sorry to distract the conversation but so, proportion of total income would be a good indicator but very private. Difficult to discuss or interpret.

• Like 1

Looking to make living wage, not just cover costs of continual increase, if that helps. It's kinda hard, but I'm not giving up my day job just yet, but himself is now full time beek

• Like 1

so just heaps

Piles of boxes

Sound like when you cannot give a number to heaps, then you have entered the commercial zone.;)

I think you need 300 hives to make a living for a family unless you have your fully paid home.

is this a tax question?

• Like 1

is this a tax question?

Good question. If it is, then the answer is any number from one up if you sell any honey or product from the hive. IRD has no threshold on income before it becomes taxable.

As far as IRD go isn't it 5 years or over 40k a year before you have to pay tax?

As far as IRD go isn't it 5 years or over 40k a year before you have to pay tax?

Lol. I wish!.

No, it's not.

no

this isn't even close to a 'maybe' or an 'it depends' situation...

Lol. I wish!.

No, it's not.

Registerd for gst?

Registerd for gst?

Why yes, yes I am :) But GST registration, which does have a threshold under which you can opt not to register, is not the same as having taxable income. Two separate issues.

had to look up the threshold - GST registration is $60,000. I think that's gone up since we started, but we registered straight off even though we were well below the threshold because of the ability to claim back GST on the upfront capital costs.

In terms of taxable activity, there's no time or monetary threshold. Starting a business - budgeting for tax payments (Starting a business) clarifies the time question. As far as a monetary threshold, well, we made $800 profit one year a few back, and you bet we paid tax on it.

I know some people want to claim hobby status as a defence, but believe me.. if you get to the point where your hobby income is exceeding your expenses, IRD are going to want to know.

• Like 2