Alastair

Bad start to the season anyone?

In my work area this morning at 9.30 it was 25°c this afternoon at 3.30..33.5°c...great for bees... not for me

you guys run a mix of super-sizes as standard? e.g. 2nd from top vs 3rd from top on the hive closest in the pic

we use FD and 3/4.

brood are all FD and we need to run some FD as supers to get them drawn out for brood boxes. bulk of the supers is 3/4 which is a LOT easier to handle when they are that high.

@tristan gee impressive! You don't worry they are going to take a tumble being that high?

yes its a worry. in fact had to block up a leaning tower today grrrrr :devil: i get a little grumpy when things havn't been done right (should have been blocked months ago) because even with two of us we could only just push it upright. ended up kicking the block in (steel caps!).

wondering if the dry has curbed nectar production from Kanuka anyone else got that?

a lot of the kanuka flower has finished.

the flower in the pasture at the mo is absolutely unreal.

• Like 1

a lot of the kanuka flower has finished.

the flower in the pasture at the mo is absolutely unreal.

Yeah, but in the Waitakeres it is 'dry as'!

HEAPS of brood, HEAPS of bees! ... and nothing to bring home! :cry:

I'll keep a close eye on dem hives!

Also, do the bees get 'lazy' having that much honey on, or is it a case of if they have an empty box above the brood box it keeps them working regardless of what is above?

Also, do the bees get 'lazy' having that much honey on, or is it a case of if they have an empty box above the brood box it keeps them working regardless of what is above?

if they have room and there is flow on, they will keep on bringing it in.

Getting a proper taste of bee work at the moment couple of very long days fitting bee escapes and harvesting honey boxes, feeling quite bombed today lol Gotta be good for me!

• Like 2

Getting a proper taste of bee work at the moment couple of very long days fitting bee escapes and harvesting honey boxes, feeling quite bombed today lol Gotta be good for me!

i thought you where working for a commercial ? not many use bee escapes.

Yeah we use bee escapes makes it so much easier to blow the blighters out the next day. Why don't they use them? It's a bit of a pain going around twice, but worth it the next day.

Bee escapes are commonly used by commercial beekeepers targeting medical grade manuka honey. Proven to reduce micro levels.

Bee escapes are commonly used by commercial beekeepers targeting medical grade manuka honey. Proven to reduce micro levels.

Micro levels.. Can you elaborate on this a bit? :)

Micro levels of what?

Do you inspect each frame in the apiary for brood, or in the extraction process ?

In the apiary here, also QE's used on all hives.

Micro levels.. Can you elaborate on this a bit? :)

In order to produce medical grade honey it needs to have a low micro level which is effectively very low levels of contamination. One of the key causes of this are bee bodies/parts being mixed in with the honey during the extraction process. Even though they are filtered out during the process they still leave contamination which increases the micro levels. Use of escape boards significantly reduces the number of bees remaining in the honey boxes prior to extraction therefore reduces the micro levels.

low micro level

isn't that microbe level ?

In order to produce medical grade honey it needs to have a low micro level which is effectively very low levels of contamination. One of the key causes of this are bee bodies/parts being mixed in with the honey during the extraction process. Even though they are filtered out during the process they still leave contamination which increases the micro levels. Use of escape boards significantly reduces the number of bees remaining in the honey boxes prior to extraction therefore reduces the micro levels.

Isn't some sterilized using radiation ?

So these concerns don't apply ?

Isn't some sterilized using radiation ?

So these concerns don't apply ?

If the initial micro level is over a certain level it will not be used for medical purposes regardless of what further treatment it undergoes.

Thanks, my ignorance of this is profound !

:)

Make sure you drink electrolytes.

A good one available through trade industrial suppliers is "Sqincher"

It prevents that washed out feeling at the end of a day working in the sun.

• Like 2