Bad start to the season anyone?

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I read an English bee book years ago, they take about single vs double, I can't remember the figures so have just worked it out ish. 10 frames in a single. 2 outside frames of stores. 8 frames with

I run single Jumbo brood boxes 11 frames, and quite often a hive will have 9 frames mostly full of brood. Some of these hives are now producing their 7th 3/4 box of honey this season. Admittedly I've

Posted Images

Hi there, we are based in Northland and had the same issues up until about 2 weeks ago :(

Just wondering how people are finding things on the honey flow side of things so far. I mean rural not urban.

Not good for me, sites that in the past have been pulling heaps of nectar by now, are on the bones of their butt this time I have some hives near starvation. Hate to spend money on sugar & feeders when the flow may be just around the corner so wondering what others think.[/QUOT

• Like 1

Well there has been a full on flow here last few weeks but yesterday & today when I was out bees were robbing the truck, wondering if the dry has curbed nectar production from Kanuka anyone else got that?

Pretty crazy season in Auckland anyway, wind cold and rain till Christmas, then suddenly the tap gets turned off, no rain plus hot weather other extreme totally now I wish we could have a couple inches rain.

Well there has been a full on flow here last few weeks but yesterday & today when I was out bees were robbing the truck, wondering if the dry has curbed nectar production from Kanuka anyone else got that?

Pretty crazy season in Auckland anyway, wind cold and rain till Christmas, then suddenly the tap gets turned off, no rain plus hot weather other extreme totally now I wish we could have a couple inches rain.

That is exactly what is happening here! It is crazy. Just a little nectar flowing but I reckon it will come to a halt soon if we don't get any rain.

Hot, damned hot!! Into our second (or is that third?) week of very hot weather. We are consistently 2degreesC warmer than Tauranga which is posting 26-29degreesC most days. We had about 1.5 hours of rain at 2a.m. about a week ago, but that's it.

It's still reasonably green but starting to dry out very, very, quickly. I don't think we're quite as dry as the rest of the country, which is surprising.

The bees have so far, been good. I'm making sure they have plenty of water. The pohutukawa flowering around the houses has stopped but they're still go strong around Anzac Bay.

There's a Council provided hedge on the main road. Not sure what the plant is, but that's now flowering. Lots of bees in the veggie garden, pollinating like crazy which is good. Our first attempt at a Strawberry Patch is going well.:)

Now..... do I wait until 4pm to have a Gin & Tonic...... or do I wait until 22C??....... because we've already hit 22C and it's only 9a.m.!!

CHALLENGE!!, I can be inebriated all day.... of course, I've never done anything like that in my life:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:whistle::whistle:

• Like 1
@frazzledfozzle I've just been for a walk. There are bees on the kanuka !! Some have been flowering for a month and are on the way out with a few day's left, some are about halfway with a fortnight left, and more than a few on the ridgetops have only just started. Saw nine pigs en route, none of which were aware of me, another walk coming up later on.
@frazzledfozzle I've just been for a walk. There are bees on the kanuka !! Some have been flowering for a month and are on the way out with a few day's left, some are about halfway with a fortnight left, and more than a few on the ridgetops have only just started. Saw nine pigs en route, none of which were aware of me, another walk coming up later on.

I've just been for a walk too, saw 2 bees on the kanuka, 7 sheep and 4 cooks. No pigs

• Like 2